A thumb-nail history of the city of Houston, Texas, from its founding in 1836 to the year 1912 Page: 175
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
THE CIrr oF HouroN, TEXA 175
its stock is owned by Texans while its officers and
managers are all Texans.
The Houston Electric Light Company was organized
in 1882, by Mr. E. Raphael. Its first officers
were: E. Raphael, president; D. F. Stuart,
secretary. The board of trustees were: A. Grosebeck,
B. A. Botts, F. A. Rice, E. P. Hill, D. F.
Stuart, J. C. Hutcherson, G. L. Porter and E.
Raphael. Only the old Brush carbon light was
used. Mr. Raphael exhibited the first incandescent
lamp ever seen in Houston in August, 1888.
The great merit of the incandescent lamp was recognized
at once and Mr. Raphael secured a contract
to equip the Howard Oil Mill plant with them. This
was the first installation of incandescent electric
lights in a building in Texas. Mr. Raphael and
his associates conducted the business for a year or
so and then sold their plant to the Houston Gas
Company. That company organized the present
electric light company in 1894.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Young, Samuel Oliver. A thumb-nail history of the city of Houston, Texas, from its founding in 1836 to the year 1912, book, 1912; Houston, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24649/m1/193/: accessed June 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .