The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer Page: 11
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Early History of Galveston. 11
When Long finally started his expedition, the following officers were
with him: Dr. Allen, an Irish surgeon; Major Burns, an Englishman;
Captain Johnson, who was one of Long's former officers and who had
escaped from the Spaniards; Captain John Austin and Captain Williams.
A number of Lafitte's men joined, among them the two Black brothers of
New Orleans, and old Blanco, who later lived in Austin's colony. Trespalacios,
Milam and Christy sailed for Tampico to aid in getting up an
army to assist Long after he landed at Matagorda. Long had one schooner
and two sloops and landed fifteen miles up the Guadaloupe. In three days
he captured Bahia, and then was attacked by Perez with seven hundred
troops. Some accounts said that Long fought a stubborn battle; others
that he was deceived into surrendering, believing the attackers to be
patriots. Long, Burns and Austin were sent to Laredo. Later Long was
released. It was said he met death by assassination at the hands of a
soldier hired by Trespalacios, once his ally, but whose nephew he had
executed. Trespalacios became Governor of Texas under the patriots later.
.1. McHenry claimed to have been with Lafitte in 1817 and with Long
in 1819, and as he tells some wonderful tales in his memoirs about Lafitte,
and Lieutenant Campbell, it may be necessary to point out that he stated
that he returned from Mexico to New Orleans in December, 1821, a year
almost ahead of other prisoners. Long's prisoners were returned November
11, 1822, by Joel R. Poinsett, U. S. Minister at Mexico.
In the meantime, Mrs. Long had been left at the fort at Bolivar. She
had with her a negro girl called Kiam. Also Dr. Edgar, Mrs. Allen, the
wife of Long's surgeon, and four men to man a small cannon were left.
These all departed after six months when Long was not heard of. Mrs.
Long refused to go along, saying that her husband told her to stay, and
stay she would, if he only found her bones. Soon after Long's departure
she gave birth to a daughter, who later became the wife of Judge J. S.
Sullivan at Richmond. (The winter of 1821 to 1822 was very cold, the bay
freezing over-a large body of salt water. It has done so but twice in
nearly one hundred years. Mrs. Long and her negress managed to live by
fishing, and learning of her husband's death, she went to a camp of
smugglers on Galveston Island in 1822, and sent word to Austin's colony.
Randall Jones and his brother came for her in a boat, and later her own
brothers came from Natchez and took her home. Hoping to revenge her
husband's death, she soon returned to San Felipe. She kept a tavern at
Brazoria, and William Isbell kept bar for her. Later she opened a hotel
1n Richmond. She stored the powder for the Austin colonists in 1834 in her
outhouse which was of brick. She died at Richmond in the "Eighties" at an
After Long's exit Galveston was given up in 1822 to smugglers, Indians,
Pirates and treasurer-seekers. One of Lafitte's former vessels under Roach
made the island its headquarters. Another one had been seized by the
Lynx after Lafitte left, in the summer of 1820.
It hardly seems possible that Lafitte's fame should have become so
exaggerated in such a short time, but in 1822 it was claimed a party of
twenty treasure-seekers (the second one) under Dr. Parnell, fought the
Indians. Parnell received a scalp wound. As late as 1857 parties hunting
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Dyer, Joseph O. The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer, book, 1916; Galveston, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24651/m1/14/?rotate=90: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .