The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer Page: 13
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Early History of Galveston. 13
Fisher, a Servian by birth, but a naturalized Mexican, was appointed collector,
because he could speak good English. There was considerable business
through this custom house and so much friction with the colonists
that General Teran, the Mexican Governor of Texas, made a special trip
to Galveston to adjust matters. In 1828, Dr. Geo. M. Patrick and John H.
Moore landed on Galveston Island and camped there. Patrick died in
Grimes County sixty-two years later, and Moore became the future promiltent
colonist and fighter. D. Gregg, one of the party, settled on the
mainland and lived off and on in Galveston from 1833 to 1870, when he
died there. In 1831, D. G. Burnet's schooner foundered at Bolivar with the
first steam sawmill on board. In 1832, Solomon Parr settled at Bolivar.
Historians tell you that Galveston Island was a waste place after Lafitte
left, until the city was incorporated in 1839. There was as much truth in
this statement as the one that in 1836 Galveston had but one house. George
Fisher was reappointed collector in 1833 (he later lived in Galveston). The
activities of the Texas Land and Galveston Bay Company commenced in
1834, and Jacob de Cordova, of Jamaica, was appointed local agent at Galveston
to sell the scrip and locate the emigrants. He kept a store which
sold tobacco, stationery and liquors (In later years he organized the first
ledge of Odd Fellows in Texas, and surveyed the future city of Waco.)
Solomon Parr opened a branch store, and the Mussina brothers kept a
stock of general merchandise. They came from New Orleans and cared
for their widowed mother. Sam Mussina was in Galveston at the end of
last century and attended meetings of the local Historical Society. The
schooner Sabine foundered on the beach down the island with a number
of colonists on board, who made temporary homes there; amongst them
R. J. Kleberg and his family.
The colonists were very dissatisfied and in anticipation of trouble had
gotten the Harris brothers to bring a lot of gunpowder from New Orleans.
As there were but two ports of entry, and as it was against the law to bring
in large quantities of the powder, the colonists smuggled it in.
The Ohio had a full cargo of powder, which she managed to land at
Eagle Grove on the bay shore. From thence it .was gradually removed to
Richmond, and stored in Mrs. Long's brick house. Captain Antonio Tenorio
with forty men had occupied the island and formed a camp. His orders
were to collect the taxes and prevent smuggling. Tenorio found the colonists
were hostile, and concluded to take his force to Anahuac, where there
was already a small garrison and fort. He informed his superiors that he
would have to be supplied with cavalry and boats as the island was over
thirty miles long; that the inhabitants were opposed to paying taxes, and
that one of his men had been wounded in a brawl, and his post messenger
poisoned by the captain of the Ojulla. (The "Ohio," Harris brothers' vesEel.)
The Dart, chartered by J. W. Russell of Velasco, was bought by Monroe
Edwards, who used her as a slaver. He had a camp at Edward's Point
on Galveston Bay where he kept his
negroes. He owned saloons and gambling
houses at Galveston and Anahuac. The steamer Laura, which was
the first steamer to trade in the vicinity of Galveston, had assisted at the
capture of the Mexican revenue cutter Correo. J. W. Russell and a company
of men on board of the schooner San Felipe, aided by the Laura,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Dyer, Joseph O. The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer, book, 1916; Galveston, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24651/m1/16/: accessed September 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .