The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer Page: 15

The Early History of Galveston. 15
20th. Edmund Quirk signed this document, as did Burnet and several others
who later located in Galveston.
The first prize brought in by the navy in December was the Montezuma,
commanded by the same Captain Thompson, who had caused trouble before
with the Correo. He had been released and joined the Mexican navy again.
Hte now joined the Texas navy and later ran a trading vessel out of Galveston.
A large steamer, the Yellow Stone, was chartered by planters, who
wanted to send their cotton to New Orleans before hostilities commenced.
The Cayuga, a steamer; the Laura, a small steamer, the schooners Flash,
Ohio and Pennsylvania were already in the local trade, and all were commandered
by the Republic. The Yellow Stone was seized by Sam Houston
at Groce's Landing. The Ohio had carried the force that attacked Anahuac.
The privateers, Tom Toby, Captain Hoyt, and the Terrible, Capt. J. M. Allen
(Galveston's future first mayor), were put in commission by New Orleans
isnop0tpi of 6ventt In 1836.
Capture of the schooner Pocket by navy.
Schooners Express and Columbus chartered to run to New Orleans.
April 10, arrival of Cayuga with refugees. April 11, Laura arrived with
refugees. The Ohio arrived with refugees and cotton on April 13. April
15 the Flash came in with refugees from Velasco and two brass guns made
in Cincinnati, Ohio, at the foundry of Greenwood Capt. W. F. Baker, and R. J.
Kleberg and their families on board. April 20, the sloop Sarah Lee, from
New Orleans, arrived with Colonel Graham, Major Leon Dyer and thirty
volunteers, fully equipped. April 21, a naval depot was organized. April
23, W. D. C. Hall appointed acting Minister of War. Colonel Graham and
volunteers sent to front. April 25, martial law declared. April 26, news
arrived from San Jacinto battlefield. April 28, Cayuga ordered to protect
Fort Travis with her guns. April 30, Cabinet left for battlefield. May 5, Cabinet
returned with Santa Anna. May 10, Cabinet left with Santa Anna for
Events in 1836.
After the Cabinet left for Velasco, the prisoners remained in the camp
at Fort Travis until August, when they were sent up the Trinity river to the
Hardin camp. Secretary Potter remained behind to superintend construction
of the navy yard. In September, 1836, the Invincible was sent to New
York for repairs. She would have been sold, for expenses incurred, but for
the help given by the Swartwout family. The Liberty was sold to defray
her expenses for repair work.

Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

upcoming item: 19 19 of 33
upcoming item: 20 20 of 33
upcoming item: 21 21 of 33
upcoming item: 22 22 of 33

Show all pages in this book.

This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Tools / Downloads

Get a copy of this page .

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Book.

Dyer, Joseph O. The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer, book, 1916; Galveston, Texas. ( accessed May 27, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History,; .

International Image Interoperability Framework (This Page)