First Presbyterian Church in 1896

Description

Handwritten notes on this old newspaper clipping indicate that it was given by M. J. Graham to A. F. Weaver, and correctly reports that the church structure burned August 25, 1908. The article erroneously states that it burned July 4, 1914. The article appears to have been published in the Mineral Wells Index. The caption reads: "Crowd attends dedication of the wooden church as it nears completion in the summer of 1896, when the edifice was dedicated to the Lord and mankind. On July 4th, 1914, the church was destroyed by one of the most disastrous fires in the history ... continued below

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This clipping is part of the collection entitled: A. F. Weaver Collection and was provided by Boyce Ditto Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 48 times . More information about this clipping can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this clipping or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this clipping.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this clipping as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this clipping useful in their work.

Provided By

Boyce Ditto Public Library

Located in Mineral Wells, the Library holds over 50,000 materials and is dedicated to providing free access and services for the community in a friendly and professional manner. Because of the work of the Boyce Ditto Public Library, residents of Palo Pinto County have access to books, online resources, events, and much more.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this clipping. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Handwritten notes on this old newspaper clipping indicate that it was given by M. J. Graham to A. F. Weaver, and correctly reports that the church structure burned August 25, 1908. The article erroneously states that it burned July 4, 1914. The article appears to have been published in the Mineral Wells Index. The caption reads: "Crowd attends dedication of the wooden church as it nears completion in the summer of 1896, when the edifice was dedicated to the Lord and mankind. On July 4th, 1914, the church was destroyed by one of the most disastrous fires in the history of Mineral Wells, when 34 residences and hotels, for two blocks east and west, and four blocks north--from Hubbard St. to NW 4th Street--burned. Every place from Hubbard north to 4th Street except the Tygrett home.
"The present church was constructed some two years after the wooden church burned, on the same site--the corner NW 2nd Street and NW 4th Avenue. Perhaps some of the youngsters in the picture are living in the community today [2013]. Picture made available by M. J. Graham from his file of papers and pictures on the history of Presbyterianism in this community.
"Until the present domed brick church was completed, the Presbyterians held Sunday School and church on the lower floor of the Odd Fellow Building in the 200 block on North Oak."
The domed brick church mentioned in the article was built in 1909, (at a cost of $15,000, according to the El Paso Morning Times of 1909) and was replaced by a third church at this location in the 1980's due to structural deterioration.
Please note: The picture in this article has been slightly cropped from it's original form, which is also in the A. F. Weaver Collection with the title [First Presbyterian Church in 1896]. The date of this article is unknown.

Notes

This is a variant of AWO_1174P [First Presbyterian Church in 1896]. Because it contains the text of the newspaper, we might want to include it.

Subjects

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this clipping in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This clipping is part of the following collection of related materials.

A. F. Weaver Collection

This colorful panorama covers Mineral Wells' founding and its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town to the present. Photos are from local historian and photographer A.F. Weaver, local families and research sources.

What responsibilities do I have when using this clipping?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this clipping.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • April 25, 2007, 8:23 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 29, 2015, 9:35 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this clipping last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 48

Where

Geographical information about where this clipping originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Clipping

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

First Presbyterian Church in 1896, clipping, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24945/: accessed June 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Boyce Ditto Public Library.