Lithia Wells

Description

The Lithia Wells and Drinking Pavilion was located on the southwest corner of the "Crazy Block." (400 NW 1st Avenue, the current [2008]location of the Crazy Retirement Home). The second Crazy Well Pavilion is the large building the upper left of the photograph. Note the three burros next to the horse. Riding burros up a trail on East Mountain was a popular tourist pastime, in addition to drinking and bathing in the mineral waters. The Mineral Wells Public Library was located in the Lithia Pavilion at one time. See also the preceding picture.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1908?.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: A. F. Weaver Collection and was provided by Boyce Ditto Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 30 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Boyce Ditto Public Library

The Boyce Ditto Public Library materials include local history from the A. F. Weaver Collection featuring resort souvenir guides and photos of Mineral Wells from its founding to the present. There is extensive coverage of the Hexagon House, the Baker Hotel, Camp/Fort Wolters and the many mineral wells that made the city a major resort in the first half of the 20th Century.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

The Lithia Wells and Drinking Pavilion was located on the southwest corner of the "Crazy Block." (400 NW 1st Avenue, the current [2008]location of the Crazy Retirement Home). The second Crazy Well Pavilion is the large building the upper left of the photograph.
Note the three burros next to the horse. Riding burros up a trail on East Mountain was a popular tourist pastime, in addition to drinking and bathing in the mineral waters.
The Mineral Wells Public Library was located in the Lithia Pavilion at one time. See also the preceding picture.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w

Subjects

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

A. F. Weaver Collection

This colorful panorama covers the founding of Mineral Wells through its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town up to the present. It features photos from local historian and photographer A.F. Weaver as well as local families and established research sources.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1908?

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • April 25, 2007, 8:19 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 29, 2015, 10:46 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 30

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Lithia Wells, photograph, 1908?; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24959/: accessed December 6, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Boyce Ditto Public Library.