Inventory of the county archives of Texas : De Witt County, no. 62 Page: 19
Care, and Accessibility of Records (First entry, p. 25)
Rooms and halls of this building were ceiled, and other repairs
were made in 1857. 20 In 1858 a new courthouse was "advertised,t and a
contract was let for $2,000. 2i During the November term of the court,
the finished courthouse was insured for }8,000. 22 Repairs were made on
this building in July 1869 23 and in July 1874. 24 When the county seat
was moved to Cuero in 1877, this courthouse was also moved. A price of^'
$1,100 was paid for moving and repairing the building,25
A special session of the court was called on April 10, 1894, for the
purpose of "considering the damages sustained by the burning of the C, IH.
on April 8, 1894." It was agreed that the D. W. Nash schoolhouse should
be rented for use as a temporary courthouse. A small building was purchased
from William Y. Schleicher for the county clerk's office.26
During the May term of 1894 bonds in the amount of 70 ,000 were
issued to finance the construction of a new courthouse.27 A contract was
awarded to A. 0. Watson of Austin. His contract was to include furniture
for all offices and courtrooms.28 By lMay of 1895, TatsDn was beginning
to delay the work, and in December, the sheriff was ordered to take .charge
of the building.29 On January 10, 1896, the following notation
was entered upon the minutes of cormmissioners court:
Eugene T. Heiner, Houston, Texas be employed supervising architect
for entire work of completing the C. Il., said work to cover
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page .
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Historical Records Survey. Texas. Inventory of the county archives of Texas : De Witt County, no. 62, book, January 1940; San Antonio, Tex.. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25252/m1/27/ocr/: accessed October 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .