The Armored Sentinel (Temple, Tex.), Vol. 1, No. 14, Ed. 1 Thursday, April 9, 1953 Page: 27 of 31
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Water District May
End Killeen Problem
Water is now one of the greatest
problems and one of the most
valuable commodities in Texas.
This was true also in Killeen.
Chamber of Commerce leaders
feel now however that this pro
blem has been licked.
In the spring of 1952 the state
water board approved the organiza
tion of the Bell County Water Con
trol and Improvement District No.
1. The purpose of this district is
to sell water and sewage service
to Killeen Fort Hood Copperas
Cove and possibly other neighbor
Source of the water will be the
Belton reservior. An intake and
filtration structure will be built on
the reservior near the present
junction of Cowhouse creek with
the Leon river. The district will
then pipe the water to Fort Hood
and Killeen for sale to the two
An adequate supply of water has
been assured the district when it
was granted the use of 10000 acre
Boon To Fort City
By VAN HEATHERLY
Killeen's phenominal comeback
after sinking to its knees under the
weight of crippling booming ex
pansion can in larg^. measure be
attributed to two of the local men's
Lions and Kiwanis both have act
ed as catalysts speeding up the
transformation from "shack town"
to bustling modern city.
In the last year alone each club
has compiled a long list of activi
ties and endeavors designed to
make Killeen a better place in
which to live.
Friendly club rivalry has serv
ed only to spur more ambitious
Projects of the 30-member Ki
wanis Club have ranged from
scholarship funds to pan-cake sup
Kiwanians now "have four boys
in school." Four years ago they
adopted a scholarship fund to be
awarded a deserving high school
senior boy each year. The origi
nal fund was $100 but the total was
upped last year to the $1000 mark
Two "Kiwanis boys" now attend
Texas A&M one is at Baylor and
one at Southwestern in George
Two of the endeavors put on to
raise scholarship funds have been
a pan-cake supper and a Kiwanis
home-talent minstrel show.
Other events carried on under
Kiwanis sponsorship during the last
year have been:
1. Two turkey shoots.
2. Donation of several pairs of
glasses to needy school children.
3. A city Christmas Party com
plete with Santa and his reindeer
and gifts for children and needy
4. Assistance to the clinical pro
gram carried on in the local school
which is concerned with eye ear
nose and throat health of the. stu
5. Donation of furniture to the
special education room in the local
school for exceptional children.
6. National Kids Day in Killeen
—a program—during which Killeen
students take over city posts from
mayor to street cleaner for a day.
7. Pay Your Poll Tax and Get
Out and Vote drives.
8. Sending of two Killeen students
as representatives at Boy's State
9. Donation of sand boxes for the
Killeen City Park.
10. Founded the Little League
Baseball program in Killeen four
years ago and are now co-sponsors.
These and many other civic en
deavors have marked Kiwanis as
one of the most active service
clubs in the area.
And right along side are the
feet of water in the reservior. This
will produce many more gallons
daily than will be needed by any
of the communities to be served.
The district has voted a $4500-
000 bond issue for the construction
or purchase of the system. Present
plans call for the construction of
the entire system by the army
engineers. They will in turn lease
the system to the district for a
period of 50 years. The district will
then operate the system on a non
profit basis reserving only enough
funds for operation maintenance
and repairs. This assures the
eventual user that the water will
be sold to him at the lowest possi
Initial work on construction of
the intake at the Belton reservior
is now underway. Plans call for
the completion of the intake before
closure is made on the Belton dam
so that all work on the intake can
proceed "in the dry."
Citizens of Killeen are looking
forward to an adequate water
supply and green lawns in 1954.
ter began operation with some
30 members. The roster has since
lengthened to include near 60.
Numerous Lion civic services
are punctuated with social func
tions both for the recreation of
the members and their families
and for the raising of funds for
The sports-minded group spon
sored the first city tennis tourna
ment last summer. The project
proved a huge success and will be
an annual affair.
Some 100 tennis players—young
and old—took part in the senior
and intermediate divisions of the
tournament and trophies and ten
nis equipment were awarded the
The big item on the Lions'
docket at present is a fund-raising
campaign' for the construction of
a park in the new Wanda Park
Top money-maker so far has
been the appearance of a circus
under the sponsorship of the
A "home-talent" show is now
being planned to further fill the
Much of the Lions' energy has
been directed toward improving
the local recreational set-up. The
club contributed the swings see
saws and other playground equip
ment which now grace the City
Another project of which the
club is justly proud is the spon
sorship of an Explorer Boy Scout
Troop which is but one of the
several scout organizations
The Lions have contributed
heavily to the "sight conserva
tion" program among school chil
dren mentioned previously.
Last Christmas a month's fees
were presented to buy presents
for needy families.
Many of the trash cans which
dot the city bear the name of the
group which has always pushed
local clean-up campaigns to the
Lion's gave $50 toward the pur
chase of a respirator for the fire
department. More has been sent
to the crippled children's home
in Kerrville. Two local football
players—high school and elemen
tary school—are honored by the
Lions each year as the most out
standing and their names engrav
ed" on a permanent Lion trophy.
The American Legion and the
Veterans Of Foreign Wars both
have active .chapters in Killeen
The Quarterback club which
awarded television sets to three
local coaches in appreciation of
the quarterfinalist football team
ekU^ocaL t£ba$4kust season» adds to-the -scene.
West Takes Over
At Killeen But
Only For Rodeo'
This sprawling Central Texas
city of Killeen is keeping alive the
west of yesterday and indeed
looks much like the western
cities of the movies with its wide
streets and multitudes of one-
And for the out-of-state visitors
who arrive in Killeen their dreams
of finding cows and cowboys
roaming the streets come true at
least once a year.
That's when Killeen's national-
ly-famous rodeo now in its sixth
year is held. The dates are May
7 8 and 9 this year with one of
the biggest events yet planned.
At rodeo time the entire city
takes on a western atmosphere
with boots spurs and jeans the
clothes for most everyone.
The Killeen Roping club the
sponsors always line up a fine
rodeo program bringing to town
the wildest stock and the best
Meanwhile when it isn't rodeo
time the Roping club keeps west
ern spirit alive and keeps mem
bers in practice by staging roping
and riding events the year-round.
These events are held at the
big permanent rodeo arena just
east of Killeen.
In the beginning back in 1882
when the city was founded the
first school was opened with 20
students enrolled. The building
was composed of one room 20 by
40 feet with home made seats.
In the late 1880's a free public
school was erected where the
Avenue elementary school now
stands. The structure was de
stroyed by a tornado in 1887 and
a new building was put in its
In 1902 a large brick building
housed the school. When fire de
stroyed it in 1823 the present red
brick structure was built.
The building was adequate for
needs of both high and elementary
schools until Camp Hood was
formed in 1941. At that time a
brick building was constimcted at
10th and Rancier to accomodate
six classes of the elementary
In 1950 that building became
the high. school and. since .that
PROPOSED PARISH HOUSE This is the architect's drawing of the parish house Killeen Episco
palians will build in the near future. A plot of land has been purchased and plans readied for the first
building. It will be constructed so it may be used for church as well as Sunday school and other pur
poses until the other buildings are completed.
Killeen's 15 Churches
Guide Spiritual Life
Ministers of 15 churches repre
senting 12 denominations and
leaders of a multiture of inter-
church groups direct the spiritual
life of Killeen.
Activities in the city are not
limited to church services and or
ganization meetings. Spiritual
growth is sparked by suppers
rummage and bake sales parties
and lectures all sponsored by
various churches throughout the
One of the most active of the
church organizations is the Coun
cil of Church Women composed
of re re in
church in town. President of the
group is Mrs. A. H. Curtis of the
First Christian Church.
Besides regular monthly meet
ings these women weekly sponsor
parties for patients at Fort Hood
station hospital with homemade
cookies and coffee provided by
ladies of various churches.
Another active church group is
the Ministerial Alliance a group
whose members are pastors of
local churches and chaplains from
Fort Hood. Rev. Ivy Bohannan of
the Nazarene church is president
of the Alliance.
There are four Baptist churches
in Killeen one located in almost
every section of the city. Includ-
Killeen Offers Fine
Schools To Residents
Education facilities in Killeen
were summed up by one of the
businessmen of the city who in a
recent discussion of local im
provements stated "I'll certainly
be proud to send my children to
school in Killeen."
time a gymnasium has been add
Last year saw the construction
of a new and modern elementary
building East Ward Elementary
School which accommodates ap
proximately 300 students in 10
classrooms. Outhstanding fea
ture of the school is a combina
tion auditorium and modern cafe
teria called the cafetorium.
In 1942 the scholastic popula
tion of Killeen was 413 today it is
Another new elementary school
is now under construction in the
Fairway Park addition of the city.
The structure will house 10
classrooms a principal's office
secretary's office clinic teacher's
lounge book room and cafetor
ium. It also will accomodate
about 300 students.
Biggest news in the Killeen
school system is the consolidation
of Killeen and Fort Hood schools.
The combined high school will
be located on Fort Hood's reser
vation if present plans material
ize on land leased by the school
district from the government.
The building wil be situated on
breezes. Entrance into the
grounds will be made simple
KILUEEN OPEN HOUSE
ed are the First East Side Me
morial and Primitive Baptist
All but the latter conduct at
least two Sunday services with
week days dotted by meetings of
the WMU various auxiliaries and
other church organizations. The
first two also hold Wednesday
evening mid-week prayer serv
The First Methodist church con
ducts three Sunday services com
plete with Sunday school and
Youth Fellowship meetings. Four
WSCS circles also hold frequent
The Methodist church sponsors
the Killeen Boy Scout troop and
provides a meeting place in the
annex for a group of Girl Scouts
The First Presbyterian church
located in a new and modern sec
tion of the city is housed in a
recently-built structure. Two Sun
day services and Sunday school
highlight. Sabbath worship.
Newest of Killeen's churches is
the Church of Christ completely
remodeled and enlarged only last
fall. A complete roster of morn
ing and evening services is held
The Lutheran Church also with
plans for enlargement features
adult Bible classes each Sunday
in addition to regular worship and
Sunday school services. A recent
ly organized Lutheran Service
Lounge furnishes a meeting place
for men of Fort Hood.
At the Assembly of God Church
Sunday services include morning
and evening worship Sunday
school and a Young Peoples serv
ice. Mid-week prayer is held on
The Church of God holds not
only two Sunday services but
Thursday and Saturday evening
St. Christopher's Episcopal
Church with plans completed for
building a parish house in the
near future holds Sunday serv
ices at a local theatre with a min
ister from Belton conducting serv
Though small it is one of the
most active churches with a
woman's auxiliary holding bi
weekly services and the entire
parish joining in suppers and
varied affairs each month.
The Roman Catholic Church of
the Sacred Heart is also without
a full-time pastor but holds serv
ices each Sunday directed by a
Christian Science services are
held at Fort Hood each Sunday.
The First Christian Church
holds morning and evening serv
ices each Sunday and mid-week
song and prayer on Wednesday.
The CWF of the church holds two
evening meetings each week.
Young people also schedule
/spofi&L tneetiogs* aod .activities
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Newspaper.
The Armored Sentinel (Temple, Tex.), Vol. 1, No. 14, Ed. 1 Thursday, April 9, 1953, newspaper, April 9, 1953; Temple, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth254326/m1/27/: accessed June 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Casey Memorial Library.