[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description

Photograph of the front of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house. A sign in the front yard says "The Howard House Museum, Open Saturday & Sunday, 2 to 5 P.M."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. April 1969.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Anderson County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 96 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Anderson County Historical Commission

Originally part of David G. Burnet's colony, the county formed in 1846 and named after Kenneth L. Anderson, Vice President of the Republic of Texas from 1844 until annexation. The Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project, including images of local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the front of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house. A sign in the front yard says "The Howard House Museum, Open Saturday & Sunday, 2 to 5 P.M."

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • April 1969

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 3:25 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Nov. 14, 2014, 7:51 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 96

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.769824, -95.626006

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House], photograph, April 1969; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25656/: accessed August 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Anderson County Historical Commission.