[Texas Historical Commission Marker: First Texas Interurban]

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First Texas Interurban in Grayson County, Texas. Text: Electric railways (trolleys) provided convenient travel between many Texas cities for more than forty years. The first interurban line was established in Grayson County, connecting the cities of Sherman and Denison. Founded in 1900 by Fred Fitch and John P. Crerar, the Denison and Sherman Railway began operations on May 1, 1901, with a single 10.5-mile track. The company built a power plant, offices, and a car barn near this site halfway between its passenger stations in the two cities. In order to provide ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 2876 x 1717 px.

Creation Information

West, Carolyn Effie 2011-12/2012-03.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Texas History Collection and was provided by Private Collection of Carolyn West to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 67 times. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Private Collection of Carolyn West

The private collection of Carolyn West consists of a photographs of historical markers and related buildings in Grayson County.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First Texas Interurban in Grayson County, Texas. Text: Electric railways (trolleys) provided convenient travel between many Texas cities for more than forty years. The first interurban line was established in Grayson County, connecting the cities of Sherman and Denison. Founded in 1900 by Fred Fitch and John P. Crerar, the Denison and Sherman Railway began operations on May 1, 1901, with a single 10.5-mile track.
The company built a power plant, offices, and a car barn near this site halfway between its passenger stations in the two cities. In order to provide water for the power plant, they built a dam below Tanyard Springs, creating a small lake, named Wood Lake. It provided recreation facilities for passengers on the line's excursion trains.
The Texas Traction Company, founded in 1906, began construction of a second interurban line from Dallas to McKinney in 1906. Merged with the Denison and Sherman Railway in 1908. The company expanded its operations, eventually connecting a number of North Texas cities and changing its name to the Texas Electric Railway in 1917. The advent of automobile travel signaled the decline of the Texas interurbans by the 1930s. The last trained passed this site on December 31, 1948, on its route from Denison to Dallas.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 2876 x 1717 px.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Texas History Collection

Drawn from collections at the UNT Libraries and various partners, these materials about Texas history include artifacts, books, documents, manuscripts, photographs, maps, letters, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 2011-12/2012-03

Start & End Dates

  • 1901 - 2012

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Nov. 1, 2012, 8:27 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 67

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

West, Carolyn Effie. [Texas Historical Commission Marker: First Texas Interurban], photograph, 2011-12/2012-03; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256803/: accessed September 15, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of Carolyn West.