[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Anderson County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 103 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Architect

Others

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Anderson County Historical Commission

The Anderson County Historical Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November 6, 1889, Miss Pauline Jowers and George D. Hunter were married in the first wedding ceremony held in this new building. The original sanctuary was restored in 1986. Photograph of the 500 Block Avenue A taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

Rescuing Texas History 2007, presents materials from fifteen partners: Anderson County Historical Commission; Austin History Center, Austin Public Library; Bosque County Historical Commission; Childress County Heritage Museum; Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History; Dallas Heritage Village; First Christian Church, Port Arthur; Heritage House Museum, Orange; Historic Rose Marine Theater; Kemah Historical Society; Museum of the American Railroad; Palestine Public Library; Sanger Public Library; Sulphur Springs Public Library; and Val Verde Historical Commission.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Covered Time Period

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 2:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 5, 2014, 4:39 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 103

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.762824, -95.629489

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25684/: accessed September 28, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Anderson County Historical Commission.