[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Odd Fellows Hall]

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Odd Fellows Hall in Sherman, Texas. Text: Erected in 1875. Third meeting place for Sherman Lodge #45 since organization Sept. 27, 1854. Center of community activity; opened a school (74 students) 11 years before first city public school. At June 21, 1862, meeting all members except one elderly brother left for Confederate service. This meeting was not officially closed until war's end. 3 Grand Masters of Texas and 1 Sovereign Grand Master of the world came from membership.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 2151 x 1534 px.

Creation Information

West, Carolyn Effie 2011-12/2012-03.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Texas History Collection and was provided by Private Collection of Carolyn West to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 30 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Private Collection of Carolyn West

The Private Collection of Carolyn West consists of a photograph collection of historical markers and related buildings in Grayson County, Texas.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Odd Fellows Hall in Sherman, Texas. Text: Erected in 1875. Third meeting place for Sherman Lodge #45 since organization Sept. 27, 1854. Center of community activity; opened a school (74 students) 11 years before first city public school. At June 21, 1862, meeting all members except one elderly brother left for Confederate service. This meeting was not officially closed until war's end. 3 Grand Masters of Texas and 1 Sovereign Grand Master of the world came from membership.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 2151 x 1534 px.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Texas History Collection

Drawn from collections at the UNT Libraries and various partners, these materials about Texas history include artifacts, books, documents, manuscripts, photographs, maps, letters, and more.

Related Items

References : [Photograph of Odd Fellows Hall]

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 2011-12/2012-03

Covered Time Period

Start & End Dates

  • 1875 - 2012

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Nov. 1, 2012, 8:27 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 30

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

West, Carolyn Effie. [Texas Historical Commission Marker: Odd Fellows Hall], photograph, 2011-12/2012-03; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256859/: accessed December 2, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of Carolyn West.