[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Rev. J. M. Binkley] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Rev. J. M. Binkley]
Photographer: West, Carolyn EffieCreator Type: Personal
- Creation: 2011-12/2012-03
- Content Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for The Rev. J. M. Binkley (February 26, 1833 - January 13, 1916) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Jacob Monroe Binkley came to Texas from Tennessee in 1852. Before being licensed to preach in 1855 he was an effective orator for the cause of temperance. In 1859 he organized and was first pastor of the church later known as First United Methodist Church of Sherman. From 1865 until his death, the Rev. Mr. Binkley was a Methodist residing elder, retaining his Sherman residence. A strong supporter of education, he was board chairman at Southwestern University and Kidd-Key College.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : col. ; 2267 x 1895 px.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Historical markers -- Texas -- Grayson County.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Historic sites -- Texas -- Grayson County.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Grayson County (Tex.) -- History.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Landmarks - Historic Markers
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Places - United States - Texas - Grayson County
- Keyword: THC
- Keyword: plaques
- Keyword: historic markers
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Grayson County - Sherman
- Start Date: 1833
- End Date: 2012
- Time Period: tex-rev
- References: [Photograph of the Grave of The Rev. J. M. Binkley]
Name: Texas History CollectionCode: THC
Name: Private Collection of Carolyn WestCode: PCCW
- Accession or Local Control No: revjmbink1
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth256890