[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Trinity United Presbyterian Church]

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Trinity United Presbyterian Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: In the 19th century, Protestant denominations began sending representatives into Texas to organize new churches. By 1850, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church had established seven congregations in Grayson County. The following year, the Rev. W.A. Provine led Sherman residents in organizing their own church, which began meeting in 1852 in the Masonic Lodge Hall, which was used by several local congregations. After subsequently using space at the Methodist church, the Cumberland congregation constructed its own sanctuary in 1872 on the northwest corner of Travis and ...

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 3017 x 1894 px.

Creation Information

West, Carolyn Effie 2011-12/2012-03.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Texas History Collection and was provided by Private Collection of Carolyn West to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 49 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Private Collection of Carolyn West

The Private Collection of Carolyn West consists of a photograph collection of historical markers and related buildings in Grayson County, Texas.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Trinity United Presbyterian Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: In the 19th century, Protestant denominations began sending representatives into Texas to organize new churches. By 1850, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church had established seven congregations in Grayson County. The following year, the Rev. W.A. Provine led Sherman residents in organizing their own church, which began meeting in 1852 in the Masonic Lodge Hall, which was used by several local congregations. After subsequently using space at the Methodist church, the Cumberland congregation constructed its own sanctuary in 1872 on the northwest corner of Travis and Cherry Streets. Throughout the early years of the church's life, regular revivals played an important role.

In 1906, after almost a century of separation, the National Cumberland Presbyterian Church rejoined the Presbyterian Church (USA), and individual congregations were given the choice to follow suit. The Sherman church voted to rejoin but maintained its name, Cumberland Presbyterian Church, until 1909, when it became known as Grace Presbyterian Church. As the church's membership grew, it built additional and larger facilities at that same site over the next several decades. In 1921, the congregation voted to be known as Central Presbyterian Church, and in the early 1960s, as the congregation moved to a new site in northwest Sherman, the name changed again, to Trinity United Presbyterian Church.

Throughout its history, the congregation that began as Sherman's Cumberland Presbyterian Church emphasized youth, mission and benevolence programs at the local, national and international levels. These efforts continued after the church united in 1995 with Sherman's First Presbyterian Church, forming Covenant Presbyterian Church.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 3017 x 1894 px.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Texas History Collection

Drawn from collections at the UNT Libraries and various partners, these materials about Texas history include artifacts, books, documents, manuscripts, photographs, maps, letters, and more.

Related Items

References : [Photograph of Trinity United Presbyterian Church]

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 2011-12/2012-03

Covered Time Period

Start & End Dates

  • 1850 - 2012

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Nov. 1, 2012, 8:27 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 1
Total Uses: 49

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

West, Carolyn Effie. [Texas Historical Commission Marker: Trinity United Presbyterian Church], photograph, 2011-12/2012-03; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth256943/: accessed December 7, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of Carolyn West.