[Anderson County Courthouse] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [Anderson County Courthouse]
Architect: Charles Page and BrotherContributor Type: Organization
Other: Garvey, B. P.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Contractor.
- Creation: 1991~
- Digitized: 2007-05-29
- No Language
- Content Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken at night. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Government and Law - County Courthouses
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
- Keyword: historic buildings
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Coverage Date: 1991~
- Place Point: north=31.764795; east=-95.626549;
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2007Code: SG07
Name: Anderson County Historical CommissionCode: ACHC
- Rights Access: public
- Accession or Local Control No: ACHC_141
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth25718
- Digital Preservation: creationHardware: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
- Display Note: The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256