[412 S. Royall - Royall House] Metadata

Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.

Title

  • Main Title [412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Creator

  • Photographer: McReynolds, Oliver
    Creator Type: Personal

Date

  • Creation: 1979~
  • Digitized: 2007-05-28

Language

  • English

Description

  • Content Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
  • Physical Description: 1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 4 in.

Subject

  • University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
  • University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Homes
  • Keyword: houses
  • Keyword: historic buildings

Primary Source

  • Item is a Primary Source

Coverage

  • Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
  • Time Period: mod-tim
  • Coverage Date: 1979~
  • Place Point: north=31.757224; east=-95.628660;

Collection

  • Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
    Code: SG07

Institution

  • Name: Anderson County Historical Commission
    Code: ACHC

Rights

  • Rights Access: public

Resource Type

  • Photograph

Format

  • Image

Identifier

  • Accession or Local Control No: ACHC238

Note

  • Digital Preservation: creationHardware: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
  • Display Note: Georgia-native Nathaniel Royster Royall (1846-1905) and his wife Annie Richardson Royall built this house in 1883-84. Local historians suggest that the house incorporates elements of Galveston homes Mr. Royall had seen; the fanciful original paint scheme (red and white) was indeed suggestive of a summer resort hotel. A Confederate veteran, Mr. Royall moved to Palestine in 1873 and purchased a one-third interest in a general mercantile and banking business. By 1893 he had taken over active control of the business, which he continued solely as a private bank. Public operations began in April 1904 with the opening of the Royall National Bank of Palestine. This same bank later became the Hibernia Bank and then was purchased later by Capitol One. It is still open today. The house is still in the Royall family.