[Kolstad's Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a sidewalk cover over the store windows. The name "Kolstad" is above the entrance. There are cars parked on the street outside the store and an unidentified person walking past the entrance; part of an adjacent building is visible on the ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 8 cm.

Creation Information

McReynolds, Oliver 1970~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Anderson County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 211 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Anderson County Historical Commission

Originally part of David G. Burnet's colony, the county formed in 1846 and named after Kenneth L. Anderson, Vice President of the Republic of Texas from 1844 until annexation. The Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project, including images of local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of the Kolstad Jewelry store, located at 100 W. Oak in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. It is a two-story brick building with decorative architectural elements around the upper-story windows and roofline. On the first floor, the walls around the store are tiled and there is a sidewalk cover over the store windows. The name "Kolstad" is above the entrance. There are cars parked on the street outside the store and an unidentified person walking past the entrance; part of an adjacent building is visible on the far right.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 8 cm.

Notes

Photo of Kolstad's Jewelry Store. Established in 1853 by Soren Kolstad, it was once touted as the longest established Jewelry store in Texas. It closed for business in the early 1990's.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1970~

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 9:05 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Nov. 19, 2014, 5:36 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 3
Total Uses: 211

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.762622, -95.631416

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

McReynolds, Oliver. [Kolstad's Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak], photograph, 1970~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25777/: accessed May 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Anderson County Historical Commission.