[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description

Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 11 cm.

Creation Information

McReynolds, Oliver 1979~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Anderson County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 688 times , with 6 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Anderson County Historical Commission

The Anderson County Historical Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project. Images include local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 11 cm.

Notes

This house, more commonly known nowadays as the Bowers Mansion, is one of the most outstanding domestic buildings in Palestine. The oldest parts of the house date back to 1878 and display Victorian Italianate elements. The small cupola with its bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows is indicative of the style. In 1894 major modifications were completed, giving the house a more Queen Anne style architectural character. The 2-tiered porch with its turned- and jigsawn- wood trim are noteworthy features. Since the 1894 renovations, the house has remained virtually unaltered and retains its integrity to a remarkable degree. Palestine merchant and Prussian-native Henry Ash and his wife Amelia Emilie Ash built this house in 1878 and resided here until 1884, when the property was purchased by Andrew L. and Nellie O’Connell Bowers. Around 1886 the Bowers hired local architect-builder Walter W. Wainwright to add the cupola, gazebo, and circular galleries; later, in 1897, St. Louis architect Charles Dunbar designed more renovations, including the addition of an ornate staircase with stained glass. A North Carolina native, Andrew L. Bowers (1852-1926) was an official of the I&GN Railroad, president of the Palestine Salt & Coal Company, and president of several banks, including the Palestine Bank. He served as mayor of Palestine for four terms (over 20 years), overseeing the paving of streets and the erection of the city’s first public school buildings, fire station, and city hall. The Bowers family owned the property for 72 years, until 1955. The house was restored in 1970 by Carl Avera but has since been sold. It now operates as a bed and breakfast.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

Rescuing Texas History 2007, presents materials from fifteen partners: Anderson County Historical Commission; Austin History Center, Austin Public Library; Bosque County Historical Commission; Childress County Heritage Museum; Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History; Dallas Heritage Village; First Christian Church, Port Arthur; Heritage House Museum, Orange; Historic Rose Marine Theater; Kemah Historical Society; Museum of the American Railroad; Palestine Public Library; Sanger Public Library; Sulphur Springs Public Library; and Val Verde Historical Commission.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1979~

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 9:05 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 20, 2014, 5:16 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 1
Past 30 days: 6
Total Uses: 688

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.759945, -95.632619

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

McReynolds, Oliver. [301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion], photograph, 1979~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25779/: accessed September 26, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Anderson County Historical Commission.