[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]
Photographer: McReynolds, OliverCreator Type: Personal
- Creation: 1965~
- Digitized: 2007-05-28
- Content Description: Photograph of the front and south side of "A.R. Howard Home," a two-story, Victorian Italianate-style house located at 619 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. The house is behind a brick fence with metal ornamentation.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 3 in.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Homes
- Keyword: houses
- Keyword: historic buildings
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Coverage Date: 1965~
- Place Point: north=31.756336; east=-95.630319;
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2007Code: SG07
Name: Anderson County Historical CommissionCode: ACHC
- Rights Access: public
- Accession or Local Control No: ACHC183
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth25796
- Digital Preservation: creationHardware: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
- Display Note: The dominant architectural form in the neighborhood in which this 2-story house stands is Queen Anne style; however, due to massive renovations, this building is now a somewhat rare example of Victorian Italianate style. A handful of similarly detailed houses are also in this neighborhood. All are among the oldest buildings in this part of town. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. Local brick manufacturer/contractor Daniel N. Darling built this house in the mid-1880s; it is said to be one of two remaining Victorian-era brick homes in the city. Pennsylvania-born A.R. Howard (b. 1852) and his wife Katie Black Howard purchased this property in 1880 and enlarged the house in 1899. Mr. Howard was employed by the I&GN Railroad for over fifty years, working in a succession of jobs that culminated in his being named Secretary-Treasurer and First Vice-President in 1890. He was active in local Masonic activities, serving as grand commander of the Knights Templar of Texas during 1900-01. His wife, an Arkansas native, oversaw the formation of the local D.A.R. chapter in this house in March 1906. The 1899 changes included the addition of a 2-story veranda on the south; this was enclosed by glass in 1985.