[The Old Pilgrim Church - Elkhart, Texas]

Description

Photograph of a replica of the original Pilgrim Church, built near the later brick church just outside of Elkhart, Texas. It is a one-story log building and the wooden front door is open. A Texas Historical Commission plaque is posted on a stone to the right of the building; the Pilgrim Cemetery is partially visible in the background.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 4 in.

Creation Information

McReynolds, Oliver 1979~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Anderson County Historical Commission to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 3546 times , with 54 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Anderson County Historical Commission

Originally part of David G. Burnet's colony, the county formed in 1846 and named after Kenneth L. Anderson, Vice President of the Republic of Texas from 1844 until annexation. The Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project, including images of local citizens, businesses, and homes.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a replica of the original Pilgrim Church, built near the later brick church just outside of Elkhart, Texas. It is a one-story log building and the wooden front door is open. A Texas Historical Commission plaque is posted on a stone to the right of the building; the Pilgrim Cemetery is partially visible in the background.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 4 in.

Notes

The Pilgrim Church, a Primitive Baptist institution, was organized in Crawford County, Illinois, by Daniel Parker, who led a caravan of twenty-five ox-drawn wagons to Texas in 1833 after securing permission to establish the church from Stephen F. Austin. This picture depicts the rebuilt replica of the original church located beside the new church, which is still in use today. The replica was dedicated sometime before 1962 and is the site of the annual Coffee and Gingerbread reception held each spring. The site is next to the Pilgrim Cemetery, which is located just outside of the rural community of Elkhart, Texas.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1979~

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 8:42 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Dec. 3, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 1
Past 30 days: 54
Total Uses: 3,546

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

McReynolds, Oliver. [The Old Pilgrim Church - Elkhart, Texas], photograph, 1979~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25802/: accessed April 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Anderson County Historical Commission.