[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Palestine High School in Palestine, Texas. Text: A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government, the first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the institute site on Avenue A. In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The city council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

McReynolds, Oliver 1991~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 709 times , with 34 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

  • Added Title: [Historical Marker - Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]
  • Main Title: [Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

Description

Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Palestine High School in Palestine, Texas. Text: A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government, the first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the institute site on Avenue A. In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The city council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which features Tudor Gothic -- or Jacobethan -- detail in brick, limestone, and occasional tile panels. The 2-story structure, on a raised basement, is framed with reinforced concrete, allowing ample window space for air and light. The original plan included eight lecture rooms, a library, a gymnasium, laboratories, and an auditorium. A principal and 10 teachers comprised the first faculty, and the first graduating class in 1917 contained 38 students. This building became a junior high in 1939, and was named in 1955 for John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905), Texas statesman and Palestine resident. Elementary grades were assigned here from 1966 to 1976, when the school was closed. The building was then preserved and rehabilitated as a museum and cultural center.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.

Subjects

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1991~

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 27, 2007, 12:44 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 6, 2017, 6:46 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 1
Past 30 days: 34
Total Uses: 709

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.758237, -95.627639

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

McReynolds, Oliver. [Historical Marker: Palestine High School], photograph, 1991~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25910/: accessed October 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.