[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House]

Description

Close-up photograph of the historic marker for the Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Text: "Silk Stocking Row" Victorian residence built in 1890. Noted as family home of Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker (1861-1938), teacher, author of widely-used school History of Texas, first Texan president General Federation Women's Clubs. Purchased 1900 by Thomas M. Campbell (1856-1923), famous lawyer, banker, governor of Texas in 1907-1911. Enlarged by Gov. Campbell, house is now property of great-grandson, Drew Wommack, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

McReynolds, Oliver 1991~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 97 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

  • Added Title: [814 S. Sycamore - Campbell - Pennybacker House]
  • Main Title: [Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House]

Description

Close-up photograph of the historic marker for the Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Text: "Silk Stocking Row" Victorian residence built in 1890. Noted as family home of Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker (1861-1938), teacher, author of widely-used school History of Texas, first Texan president General Federation Women's Clubs. Purchased 1900 by Thomas M. Campbell (1856-1923), famous lawyer, banker, governor of Texas in 1907-1911. Enlarged by Gov. Campbell, house is now property of great-grandson, Drew Wommack, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

In plan and form, this 2 ½ story frame dwelling is typical of the many large Queen Anne-style houses found in the neighborhood south of downtown. A deed states that the land was transferred on February 6, 1890, from J.T. Pells and S.R. Pells to Oscar B. Sawyers, secretary of the Palestine Loan Association. Sawyers built his home on the lot a short time later and he and his wife Carrie Jones Sawyer lived there until December 19, 1893. The story goes, a local man named Mart Lacy notified Judge Gardner and Dr. Jameson, a local doctor, requesting that they come to the Sawyers’ residence. When they arrived, they found Sawyers dead and his wife wounded. It is speculated that this was a suicide pact that failed, possibly due to financial trouble that Sawyers was apparently experiencing. The Palestine Loan Association turned its claims over to Gregg and Gardner to collect and bring suit. Mrs. Sawyers waived all right to the administration of Sawyers estate on January 24, 1894. The home was appraised at $6,000 and was bought by Percy V. Pennybacker and his wife Anna for $5,000. Pennybacker served as superintendent of the Palestine schools until his death in 1899. Mrs. Pennybacker was a prominent local social leader, and was the author of the first Texas history textbook to be used in state schools, titled “A New History of Texas for Schools”. After Mr. Pennybacker’s death, Mrs. Pennybacker moved to Austin, where she was instrumental in the formation of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs. On June 22, 1900, she sold the house to Thomas Mitchell Campbell and his wife, Fannie Bruner Campbell. Mr. Campbell had been appointed receiver of the I&GN Railroad in 1891 and in 1893 he became general manager of the railroad. He was elected governor of Texas for two terms in 1907 and 1909. In 1911, Campbell returned to his law practice and helped to found the Campbell State Bank, which later grew into the East Texas National Bank. About 1922, local architect Theodore Maffitt, remodeled the house, enlarging it to its present size and adding a porch along the front and the south side of the house. Among the treasured items in the home is a grandfather clock which was presented to the governor in recognition of his reforms in labor legislation. A marble bust of Campbell, done by Pompeo Coppini and given to him by the state legislature, is also in the house. The house is still owned by descendants of Governor Campbell.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1991~

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 27, 2007, 12:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 6, 2017, 6:50 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 97

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.754507, -95.62981

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

McReynolds, Oliver. [Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House], photograph, 1991~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25914/: accessed July 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.