[315 E. Kolstad] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [315 E. Kolstad]
- Creation: 1970~
- Digitized: 2007-06-06
- No Language
- Content Description: Photograph of the front of the "Greenwood House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 315 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Homes
- Keyword: historic buildings
- Keyword: houses
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Place Point: north=31.767524; east=-95.629332;
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2007Code: SG07
Name: Palestine Public LibraryCode: PPL
- Rights Access: public
- Accession or Local Control No: 33619002244620
- Digital Preservation: creationHardware: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
- Display Note: During the late 19th and very early 20th centuries, the Queen Anne style enjoyed considerable popularity locally, especially among more affluent citizens. This large, 2-story frame residence is one such example, although the application of asbestos siding over the wood siding detracts from the property’s overall historic character. Other than the new siding, the house appears to have changed little since its construction in 1903. Judge Thomas Benton Greenwood (1832-1900) and his wife Lucy Henry Gee built a one-story house on this site in the 1870s, which later was enlarged into the present 2-story building around the turn of the century. A native of Mississippi and a Confederate veteran, Mr. Greenwood was a prominent Palestine lawyer during the last quarter of the nineteenth century. In 1872 he formed a law partnership with John Young Gooch (later a state senator); subsequently, the two men formed a law firm with John H. Reagan, the former Postmaster General of the Confederacy and U.S. congressman. Dr. Bethune F. McDonald, a physician and surgeon with offices at 103 ½ W. Oak, purchased this house in 1935. He and his wife Josephine continued to live here through the early 1940s, when Mr. McDonald died. Mrs. McDonald lived in the house until 1960, when the building was purchased by Richard and June Handorf.