[303 S. Royall] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [303 S. Royall]
Architect: Maffitt, Theodore S.Contributor Type: Personal
- Creation: 1970~
- Digitized: 2007-06-06
- Content Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story, brick and stucco Tudor Revival-style house located at 303 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive architectural features include the decorative half-timbered woodwork on the exterior, the steeply pitched, cross-gabled roof, the windows with small panes, and the incorporation of stone into the masonry exterior walls.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Homes
- Keyword: houses
- Keyword: historic buildings
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Coverage Date: 1970~
- Place Point: north=31.758040; east=-95.629200;
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2007Code: SG07
Name: Palestine Public LibraryCode: PPL
- Rights Access: public
- Accession or Local Control No: 33619002244489
- Digital Preservation: creationHardware: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
- Display Note: The Tudor Revival style became popular in Palestine during the late 1920s and 1930s, and this 2-story brick and stucco dwelling is one of the city’s best examples of the style. Distinctive architectural features include the decorative half-timbered woodwork on the exterior, the steeply pitched, cross-gabled roof, the windows with small panes, and the incorporation of stone into the masonry exterior walls. The house retains its integrity to a noteworthy degree. Locally prominent architect Theodore S. Maffitt designed this house in 1928 for Dr. Robert H. McLeod and his wife Flora Bartholomew McLeod. A native of East Texas, Dr. McLeod was a local physician and house surgeon for the I&GN Railroad, and served as mayor of Palestine from 1939-47. The couple lived here through the 1940s.