[408 E. Neches]

Description

Close-up photograph of part of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1970~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 42 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Close-up photograph of part of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

While most of the 115 local Tudor Revival houses of the late 1920s and 1930s probably were built from plans that appeared in pattern books, 15 examples were likely designed by architects. This property falls within the latter category, being designed by Theodore Maffit Sr..

Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior. This type of detailing is a signature trademark of the Tudor Revival style. This property retains its historic character and integrity to an exceptional degree.

Ned B. Morris and his wife Willie Belle had this home built in 1928 at a cost of $9,000. They occupied this house until at least 1941, according to Palestine city directories. Mr. Morris was an attorney, with offices at 201 1/2 N. Sycamore. In the 1940’s, Dr Harvey Bell and his wife Virginia became the next owners and lived there until Dr. Bell died in 1994.

Throughout the years, several rooms have been added and the home has been updated inside. When the current owners remodeled the house in 1997, they gutted the house and reinstalled plumbing and electrical systems. They were able to preserve door and window hardware, as well as many of the light fixtures throughout the house.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1970~

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 5:12 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 13, 2017, 10:31 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 42

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.756339, -95.625901

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[408 E. Neches], photograph, 1970~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26253/: accessed May 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.