[Interior of the Dome of the Anderson County Courthouse]

Description

Close-up photograph of the stained glass design on the inside of the dome in the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. Most of the design has plain rectangles in varying shades of brown, there is a six-pointed star in the center, surrounded by other decorative accents.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

McReynolds, Oliver 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 28 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Architect

Other

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Close-up photograph of the stained glass design on the inside of the dome in the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. Most of the design has plain rectangles in varying shades of brown, there is a six-pointed star in the center, surrounded by other decorative accents.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Inside the dome of the Anderson County Courthouse. The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 3:51 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Dec. 1, 2014, 7:33 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 28

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.764937, -95.626137

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

McReynolds, Oliver. [Interior of the Dome of the Anderson County Courthouse], photograph, 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26374/: accessed December 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.