[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]
Photographer: McReynolds, OliverCreator Type: Personal
- Creation: 1992-02
- Digitized: 2007-06-19
- Content Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : positive, color ; 35 mm.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Buildings
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Homes
- Keyword: historic buildings
- Keyword: houses
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Coverage Date: 1992-02
- Place Point: north=31.759861; east=-95.632633;
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2007Code: SG07
Name: Palestine Public LibraryCode: PPL
- Rights Access: public
- Accession or Local Control No: 33619002102273
- Digital Preservation: creationHardware: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
- Display Note: This house, more commonly known nowadays as the Bowers Mansion, is one of the most outstanding domestic buildings in Palestine. The oldest parts of the house date back to 1878 and display Victorian Italianate elements. The small cupola with its bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows is indicative of the style. In 1894 major modifications were completed, giving the house a more Queen Anne style architectural character. The 2-tiered porch with its turned- and jigsawn- wood trim are noteworthy features. Since the 1894 renovations, the house has remained virtually unaltered and retains its integrity to a remarkable degree. Palestine merchant and Prussian-native Henry Ash and his wife Amelia Emilie Ash built this house in 1878 and resided here until 1884, when the property was purchased by Andrew L. and Nellie O’Connell Bowers. Around 1886 the Bowers hired local architect-builder Walter W. Wainwright to add the cupola, gazebo, and circular galleries; later, in 1897, St. Louis architect Charles Dunbar designed more renovations, including the addition of an ornate staircase with stained glass. A North Carolina native, Andrew L. Bowers (1852-1926) was an official of the I&GN Railroad, president of the Palestine Salt & Coal Company, and president of several banks, including the Palestine Bank. He served as mayor of Palestine for four terms (over 20 years), overseeing the paving of streets and the erection of the city’s first public school buildings, fire station, and city hall. The Bowers family owned the property for 72 years, until 1955. The house was restored in 1970 by Carl Avera but has since been sold. It now operates as a bed and breakfast.