[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring Str & N. Sycamore]

Description

Photograph of a two-story building complex at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas. There is a two-story wrap-around porch on the corner; the suites on the left side of the building have entrances only on the first floor. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. There are people standing in the street and around the entrances.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1880~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 44 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a two-story building complex at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas. There is a two-story wrap-around porch on the corner; the suites on the left side of the building have entrances only on the first floor. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. There are people standing in the street and around the entrances.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Notes

This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1880~

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 10:57 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 9, 2014, 6:20 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 44

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.761677, -95.631427

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring Str & N. Sycamore], photograph, 1880~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26413/: accessed August 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.