[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description

The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store ... continued below

Physical Description

1 film negative : b&w/color ; size 4" x 5"

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1930~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 14 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.

Physical Description

1 film negative : b&w/color ; size 4" x 5"

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1930~

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 9:55 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 13, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 14

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House], photograph, 1930~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26535/: accessed August 15, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.