[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1950~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 26 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Architect

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

The Palestine Public Library materials include local history photographs selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the digitization of at-Risk photographs and maps, as well as photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Notes

When originally built, this house was one of three imposing Queen Anne-style residences on the north side of Hodges Street. Although the others have been left unaltered, this dwelling was changed substantially in the early 20th century when the pedimented portico was added to the front. This alteration changed the character of the property by imposing order and balance to an otherwise asymmetrical composition. In this regard, the property is similar to the Henry and Hypatia Link House at 1003 N. Link. This property was the site of the house of Judge James Perry, a lawyer and one of the area’s earliest settlers, who built his log cabin here around 1845. Prominent local businessman Adolphus Benson Hodges (1858-1913) built the extant house, known as “Elmwood”, in 1910-11; it was completed shortly before his death. The building was designed by James F. Brook. Along with his brother, Daniel, Hodges operated a chain of mercantile stores throughout Texas. In addition to their Palestine store, which was located in the still-extant building at the northwest corner of W. Oak and N. Magnolia, they had stores in Marlin, Cuero, Orange and Port Arthur. Hodges’ wife, Mollie Scarbrough Hodges, continued to live in the house after her husband’s death, until 1943, when the home was purchased by Mr. And Mrs. Hugh Sullivan.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

Rescuing Texas History 2007, presents materials from fifteen partners: Anderson County Historical Commission; Austin History Center, Austin Public Library; Bosque County Historical Commission; Childress County Heritage Museum; Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History; Dallas Heritage Village; First Christian Church, Port Arthur; Heritage House Museum, Orange; Historic Rose Marine Theater; Kemah Historical Society; Museum of the American Railroad; Palestine Public Library; Sanger Public Library; Sulphur Springs Public Library; and Val Verde Historical Commission.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1950~

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 9:45 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Aug. 4, 2014, 5:47 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 26

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.7705, -95.625778

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood], photograph, 1950~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26539/: accessed July 23, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.