[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description

Photograph of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 36 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Architect

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Notes

This house is one of three grand residences on the north side of Hodges Street and is among the finest local illustrations of the Queen Anne style. The corner tower with its conical roof dominates the façade, which has a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades. The property retains its integrity to a remarkable degree and it remains a prominent local landmark. Born in Robertson County, Texas, John Randolph Hearne (1854-1930) moved to Palestine in 1876 after attending college in Virginia. An active local businessman, Hearne operated retail drug stores in both Palestine and Dallas, and helped organize (and served as president of) the Palestine National Bank. Hearne’s parents invested heavily in real estate along the Brazos River; the town of Hearne is named after the family, which donated the acreage upon which that town now stands. This house was built in 1896 on land given to Hearne as a wedding present by Colonel George R. Howard, when Hearne married Howard’s daughter Emma in 1883. Howard himself lived nearby at 1011 N. Perry. Hearne personally selected the pine and oak lumber used in the house’s construction; the red brick veneer was added in 1902. Prominent San Antonio (?) architect Luther McKlemurry designed the house; the firm of Scott and Sammons served as contractors. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Covered Time Period

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 12:09 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 10, 2018, 12:09 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 36

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.770331, -95.627662

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26609/: accessed October 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.