[Congregational Church - Palestine]

Description

The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located ... continued below

Physical Description

1 film negative : b&w/color ; size 4" x 5"

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1912~.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 108 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church.

Physical Description

1 film negative : b&w/color ; size 4" x 5"

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

The 2007 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together photographs, postcards, letters, and more to give a glimpse into the rich history of the state.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1912~

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • June 26, 2007, 9:26 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 12, 2016, 4:04 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 108

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[Congregational Church - Palestine], photograph, 1912~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26657/: accessed August 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.