Historic Plaque, United Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery

Description

Photograph of a historic plaque in Swiss Alp, Texas. It reads: "United Evangelical Lutheran Church (Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery). The Swiss Alp community was settled about 1865. Within a short time, the Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church was established and began meeting on land given by John and Christina Knippa in 1867. The first recorded burial on this site is that of Emma Gertraut Ritter, who died in October 1867. She was soon followed by Anna Rudi, the wife of Pastor C. C. Rudi. Ten more church members were interred here before the site was formally established as a cemetery ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Creation Information

Belden, Dreanna L. October 7, 2006.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Photographing Texas and was provided by UNT Libraries to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 51 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

UNT Libraries

The UNT Libraries serve the university and community by providing access to physical and online collections, fostering information literacy, supporting academic research, and much, much more.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a historic plaque in Swiss Alp, Texas. It reads: "United Evangelical Lutheran Church (Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery). The Swiss Alp community was settled about 1865. Within a short time, the Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church was established and began meeting on land given by John and Christina Knippa in 1867. The first recorded burial on this site is that of Emma Gertraut Ritter, who died in October 1867. She was soon followed by Anna Rudi, the wife of Pastor C. C. Rudi. Ten more church members were interred here before the site was formally established as a cemetery in February 1877. Other members of the Rudi family are interred here along with numerous church members. After several small area churches merged in 1967 the church name was changed to United Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery. The historic graveyard contains both marked and unmarked burials. (1999)"

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Language

Item Type

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Photographing Texas

These images come from individuals' travels across the state. Subjects include Texas scenery, wildlife, county courthouses, state parks, national parks, libraries, museums, historic sites, outdoor murals, architecture, monuments, and historic plaques -- a little bit of everything Texas!

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • October 7, 2006

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 30, 2007, 3:14 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 19, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 51

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 29.7593255289, -96.9410360712

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Belden, Dreanna L. Historic Plaque, United Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery, photograph, October 7, 2006; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28397/: accessed December 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .