The Democrat (McKinney, Tex.), Vol. 21, No. 14, Ed. 1 Thursday, May 5, 1904 Page: 1 of 8
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Collin Co.Barber Shop
Solicits your p*tron*«e
RICHARDSON !c HIBBITS,
North Side Square,
MoKInney, - - T«us.
m THE DEMOCRAT.
iiujar« ♦ , - ,.
tax Aft. X
ENTERED AT THE FOSTOFFICE AS SECON D-CL ASS MAIL MATTER.
Hpw-i*! attention to dlatMM of
Nom, Throat and dl ea*-< of wo-
men. Klein, Genito-Crlnary organs
rectum and narvous system.
In offlo*. Oflloe In Met* block.
AAAA^i ^ A A aaaa.AA.AA
$1.00 PER YEAR.
Being Placed on the around for
New Two Story Bricks Will Be
handsomer Than the
Material is now bknt placed on
the grounds for the rebuilding of
tbe block of business houses own-
ed by Jesse Shain, BobSeay and
Mrs Lea Bates, recently burned,
and work will be pushed rapidly
to completion, which is expected
to be accomplished in sixty days.
We have seen the drawings and
plans of the front of these build-
ings, and can assure the public
that they will be an ornament to
All the buildings will have iron
1 columns and plateglass fronts and
finished in modern stylo. The
lower stories of the two corner
buildings, formerly occupied by
B' the White Dry Goods Co, will
have a large archway between and
will be a spacious storeroom, suit-
able for a large business, the two
rooms combined being 55x100
feet. The third building from
the corner, also owned by Mr
Shain, will be 25x100 feet. The
second story will be used for of-
fices except over the corner build-
ine which will be used in connec-
tion with the lower store us form-
The buildings of Mr Sesy and
Mrs Bates are each 20x80 feet and
will be finished to correspend
with the Shu in block.
Smith Bros & Co will occupy
both stories of Mrs Bates build-
ing in connection with the one
thay ure now in belonging to J L
Thv building formerly occupied
by Daw's confectionery, is also
being rebuilt and will be ready
for occupancy by the last of the
month. Mr Daw will again oc-
cupy it when rebuilt.
The now block, when complet-
ed. will surpass the former build-
ings in attractive appearance.
The postoflice corner build'ng
will be ornamented bv a cuj /ia
somewhat resembling in appear-
ance that on the Newsome build-
ing on the southeast corner of the
square. It is not announced yet,
if known, what firms will occupy
these other new buildings, but
their handsome finish and good
location insures their rental as
soon us completed.
Drs. Largent & Bryant Have
Rented Byrne Abstract Offices
Dre Largent & Bryant have
rented the room adjoining them,
formerly occupied by the M II
Byrne Abstract Agency, and are
(laving the petition removed and
both rooms thrown together.
This gives them more spacious
offices which they are having at-
tractively remodeled. Dr G H
Pro vine also offices with them.
Capt Byrne recontly sold his Ab-
stract Agency to Fred Heard who
will occupy quarters in the Heard
building on the West Side now
being fitted up for this purpose.
ARMY RECRUITING OFFICER
Established Recruiting Station
Lewis EJahns of Dallas, a re-
cruiting officer of tbe U S Army,
is here to establish a re-
cruiting station for all branches.
He is stopping at the New Centu-
ry hotel and will be in our city
all this week.
For Those Who Live on Farms.
Dr. Bergln, Pana, ills, writes: "I ha e used
Bnllard's Snow Liniment; always recommend It
to my friend*, aa 1 km confident there la no bet-
ter made. It la a dandy for burn*." Thoae who
life on farm* an eapecially liable to maay ac-
cidental cuta, burn* ana bruises, which heal
rapidly wh n Ballard'* Snow Liniment la ap-
plied. It ahould always be kept In the house for
otftea of cmergenoy. Mc, BOc and II at Hmlth
Bros. A Co.
Watkine & Man tooth, general
merchandise and farm imple-
ments of Altoga, order a new
supply of stationery from The
Democrat Jot office.
McKINNEY, COLLIN COUNTY, TEXAS, THURSDAY, MAY 5, 1904.
VOL. 21, NO. 14.
Crowd Estimated at Five Hun-
dred at Stony Saturday.
A large crowd esiimated at
from five to six hundred people,
assembled at Stony Point Satur-
day to observe Decoration Day.
An excellent program consisting
of addresses, essays and music
bad been arranged, which was
appropriate to the occasion. Rev
G B Airhart acted as master of
The speakors for the occasion
were Revs Glenn Sneed and J P
Holmes and Dr E E King, all of
whom made excellent addresses.
Mrs Smith and Miss Echols
read essays which were greatly
After the exercises were over
beautiful floral offerings were
placed upon the graves by rela-
tives and friends, showing love
and respect for the deceased.
When the noon hour arrived a
splendid dinner was spread which
was more than ample for the
large crowd present.
Those present from here were
Dr E E King, S H Graham, Hud-
son Wilbanks, Mr and Mrs J II
Blake, .lack Sportsman, wife and
sisters. Misses Lizzie and Emma,
uud Miss Emma Wood.
For Month of April as Kept by
The Comparison of Rainfall for
Month Given for Three
McKinney, Tex., May 2, 1904.
—Meteoi ological report for April,
1904, is as follows.
The coidest day was the 13th,
50 degrees. The warmest day
was the 15th, 90 degrees. The
largest set maximum was on 15th,
2 3 12
2 4 11
Hail on 15th. The average
rainfall for tho month of April is
4 20 inches, this month it being
5.50, being 1.36 above average.
The rainfall for April, 1903, was
•51: April. 1902,1.31; April, 1901,
J. R. BROWN'S BROHTER DE^AD.
Dr. Isaac S. Brown Passed Away
at His Home In Mississippi.
Dr Isaac S Brown, brother of
John R Brown and son of T H
Brown of this city, died at his
home in LaFayette county, Mis-
sissippi Saturday evening at ti
o'clock, after a four weeks ill-
ness from catarrh of the stomach.
Mr Brown spent two weeks with
his brother, returning home last
Wednesday, and thought that
when he left him ho was improv-
ing. Dr Brown was lifty-four
years of age and leaves a wife and
five children. He has been a
practicing physician in his county
for thirty years. He was a strict
member of the Methodist church.
The funeral took place Monday
at 10 o'clock. The many
friends of the family in this city
extend sympathy to the brother
and aged father.
F W Vaughn of Naples and his
daughter, Mrs J F Brannon, of
Sherman have returned to their
homes after a visit to tbeir sons
aad grandsons, Claude *nd Fred
Brannon of this city.
Held an Interesting Meeting Last
NEW OFFICERS IUIED
The McKinney Union Starts Out
On Its Third Year With
McKinney Typographical Union
No. 309 held its regular meeting
Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock
and installed the newly elected
officers for tho ensuing year as
W. E. Runnion. Piesident.
W. Donald, Vice President.
Lee Ballou. Rec. Secretary.
C. E. Lehman, Sec.-Treas.
D. L. Runuion, Sergeant-at-
The Executive Board consists
of tho following members: J. N.
Ward, N. H. Johnson, Lee Bal-
lou, Chas. E. Lehman, O. M.
Goddard, and W. E. Runnion.
Auditing Committee—W. Don-
ald, D. L. Runuion and Lee
McKinney Typographical Union
has reached tho second mile post
along its rugged journey and 't
future today i* as gorgeous as un
autumn's golden sunset; the dark
clouds that once hovered over its
bark have cleared away, its sails
are spread to the breezes and the
Union is sailing under the rainbow
of peace—peace with themselves,
their employers aud the world at
Union 309 start* out on its
third year with bright prospects
with three offices in the city car-
rying the lable, the emblem of
fair dealing, shorter hours and
better conditions for employes.
McKinney Union No. 309 will
send a delegate to the Interna-
tional convention this year at St.
Louis, August 8. A Member.
VISITORS FROM DENTON.
Frir .ds of Miss Sadie Kirkpat-
rick Spend Sunday With Her.
Miss Sadie Kirkpatrick, accom-
panied by a number of her fellow
students from the Industrial
School at Denton, came ouer Sat-
urday to spend Sunday at the
beautiful home of her parents,
Mr and Mrs E W Kirkpatrick on
Parker street. The party was
composed of the following young
ladies: Misses Mary Poynor, Su-
wie Joyner, juaura Neal, Annie
Cole, Nellie Kercheville, Willie
Huckaby and Gertrude Denny,
and chaperoned by Dr Evans, a
cultured and refined lady, and a
prominent member of tho faculty
of that institution. They re-
turned to Denton Mon lay at
1:12 p m.
Collin County Baptist Pastors
Met Here Monday.
MI special efforts
To More Permanently Establish
Some of the Weak
TIip Pastors' Conference met
last Monday at 10 o'clock at the
the First Baptist church. After
piayer, reports were heard from
the various parts of the county.
All these were encouraging. The
two churches at Lucas and Leba-
non, which were recently destroy-
ed by storm, are being rebuilt and
their pastors are encouraged in
the splendid spirit shown by their
members. The work is in a pros-
perous condition all over the
county. Efforts are being made
to reach out more than ever.
Special meetings will be held in
order to more permanently es-
tablish some of the weak churches.
Several new churches are to be
organized and more new build-
ings put up.
The missionary and colporter
made encouraging reports. One
new church organized within tho
la-it month and a fine meeting held
at the same pluce.
The Executive Board of the
Baptist cnurchesof Collin county
also held its session. There was
not much business to transact.
It was reported that the five
new church houses built and re-
cently completed were practically
all paid off, so far as the promise
of the Board was concerned.
The Baptist school at West-
minster was considered and re-
ported in a very prosperous con-
dition. Effort is going to be
made to enlarge it aud strengthen
it. It is one of the best acada-
mies in North Texas.
A tiue revival was reported
The following were present:
Rev ,J L Truett,pastor at Melis-
sa; Rev M I Davis, pastor at
Spring Hill; Rev J B Snider,
pastor at Culleoka; Rev M T
Tucker, pastor at Lebanon; Rev
M F Wheeler, county missionary;
Dr E E King, Rev jno A Held;
Rev W B Newsome, pastor at
Wiley; Revs 11 M ,J Bentley, pas-
tor at Anna: also «J A Taylor of
Copeville, county colporter; M C
Powell of Anna; Rev G M Wells
ot Culleoka; A R Epps: Prof. Z.
A C Harris, M .1 Stevenson of
Prosper; Prof T O Murry; J W
Burke of East Fork Church, and
The pastors' conference ad-
journed till 1st Monday in Oct.
Tho Board will meet Saturday
before 5th Sunday in May at
Tor Meeting of Democratic Exec-
«it MAY SEVENTH EBB HE 20 TO JlllY 2D
To be Held at the Court House at
a p. m. for Transaction
The following call has beou is-
suod by Chairman Mangum:
McKinney, Tex., April 28, '04
To tho members of the Collin
County Democratic Executive
You are hereby called to meet
at the court house in the city of
McKinney on Shturday, May 7,
1904, at 2 p m to transact such
business as shall properly come
before you. Respectfully sub-
mitted, T. F. Manuum,
Chairman of Collin County Dem-
ocratic Executive Committee.
Messrs Ben and T H Bell of
Anna were in McKinney Monday
and pnid the Democrat a pleas-
Jake M Bryan of Chimbers-
ville was here Sunday to attend
the exercises of the ex-Confeder-
ates at'the opera house.
Being Sent Out From County Su-
Able Faculty Headed by Prof. C.
T. Cobb as Conductor,
Tho announcements for the
Collin Couitty Summer Normal
to be hold here from June 20th
to July 28th are being sent out
from tho superintendent's office
today, and indications are that
this will be one of the best nor-
mals ever held in McKinney,
great interest boing manifested by
all the teachers.
The faculty is composed of
some of the best oducator* of
Collin county, Prof C T Cobb,
principal of Allen public school,
being conductor, assisted by W
S Smith, principal of Chambers-
ville public school, and J T John-
son, Huperintendent Piano public
Tbe executive board is com-
posed of the following: T W
Lanbam, chairman} W S Oweus-
by, secretary; T D Simpson, T J
Taylor, W H Echols and Mareel-
Nearly 300 Men, the Pick of That
Body at World's Fair.
Latest of the arrivals at the
Philippine reservation on the
World's Fair grounds is a de-
tachment of the native Philip-
pine constabulary composed of 280
men and eleven officers. Nearly
every tribe in tho archipelago is
represented in the body, the men
having been picked for tho ser-
With them came a band of
eighty pieces and nine Moros.
The habits and modes of living of
these men are as different as the
variety of dialects in tho camp.
Some are ravenous meat eaters,
while others subsist on fish and
rice. Some are Mohammedans,
some Christians aud others Pa-
gans. All insist upon observing
tbeir particular religioue rites
while at St Louis.
The constabulary organization
is different from that of tho Phil-
ippine scouts, of which there is
also a detachment at the World's
Fair. They are similar to the
militia of the state governments
and do patrol duty in tho islands;
yet they are not policemen, for
they have only military authority.
They wear the regulation army
kliaki uniforms, trimmed in a red
braid distinguish them from
County is Allowed Four Appoint-
ive Students in
girls' ibm smi
At Denton—Three Have Received
Appointments—Fourth to Be
The Girls' Industrial School, of
Texas, located at Denton, is do-
inj? successful work. Cree T.
W ork is president and the faculty
is composed of about eighteen
members, all specialists as in-
structors in their respective work.
Collin county is entitled to four
appointments, three of which
have been made by County Super-
intendent Hill. These Collin
students are Misses Sadie Kirk-
patrick, Addie Kendal and Annie
Taylor, The fourth one will soon
be appointed by Prof Hill. A
competitive examination will be
held in McKinney for tho pur-
pose, Friday, May 0. Girls must
be 16 years old.
All qualified individuals will be
made welcome in tho school,
whether they are fortunate en-
ough to receive au appointment
or not. The advantages of ap-
pointment are: 1. The inciden-
tal fees, amounting to $15 per
year, are remitted to appointive
students. 2. Appointive students
will bo given the free use of text-
books, which saves about $10 per
year. This makes an appoint-
ment, worth about $25 per year.
An appointment holds good only
for the hcholastic year for which
it is issued, or for such fraction
thereof as the student named in
it may actually attend the college.
Appointive students who leavo
school during the year thereby
forfeit their appointments.
The third term began March 22,
Norman H Johnson and Mrs.
Nannie N. Johnson.
Norman H Johnson, of tho Ga-
zette mechanical force, and Mrs
Nannie N Johnson were quietly
united in marriage Monday at
the First Presbyteiian Manse, the
pastor, Kev S L Kieves, officia-
ting. Both contracting parties
have many friends with whom
The Democrat joins in extending
Chas. Parker of the Sherman
Register and wife spent Sunday
with Mr Parker's parents, Mr
and Mrr R L Parker.
Charlie Dnrou, who is
Hying at Texarkana, armed Sat-
urday to visit his mother, who la
sick at Lueas.
Second Session of Fifty-Eighth
:::: m_ Thursday
List of Important Bills Enacted
Into Law—Speaker Cannon
Washington, April 29.—The
closing yesterday of tho second
session of the House of the Fif-
ty-Eighth Congress was made
notable by the demonstration
which was evoked by a resolu-
tion offered by Mr William?, the
minority leader, testifying to the
courtesy and impartial manner in
which Speaker Cannon had pre-
sided over the Uouso. The reso-
lutiou was not of the perfunctory
kind, but wan expressive of tho
kindly feeling which men iu the
House of all parties entertained
toward him. In a graceful speech
the speaker declared his appreci-
ation of the resolution.
The memb9rs after the Speak-
er announced final adjournment,
joined in singing patriotic airs,
and slowly filed out of tho hall,
after shaking bands with the
Speaker and bidding him good-
WHAT CONGRESS HAS done.
Passed a bill putting1 into effect
the Cuban reciprocity treaty.
Ratified the Panama canal
Passed a bill providing for the
Panama cunal zone.
Ratified tho Chinese commer-
cial treaty, providing tor two
open ports in Manchuria.
Ratified a treaty with Cuba to
carry out the terms of tho Piatt
Passed a joint resolution au-
thorizing tho President to negoti-
ate a treaty with Groat Britain,
with tho assent of Japan and
Russia, if possible, to protect the
fur seals of the North Pacific.
Adopted a joint resolution pro-
viding for the transportation on a
Government vessel of 500 public
school teachers of Porto Rico to
the United States to take a course
in summer schools.
Re-enacted Chinese exclusion
by a rider on the sundry civil bill.
Provided for a joint commis-
sion ot the two houses to investi-
gate the ship subsidy question.
Appropriated $1,700,000 to
purchase a site at tho Pennsylva-
nia Railroad terminal in Now
York for a branch postoflice.
Authorized lease at not more
than $90,000 a year of a postoflice
building in New York to be erect-
ed at tho Central terminal.
Passed a bill providing a pen
sion of $100 a month for those
who totally lost sight in the mili-
tary and naval service.
Loaned the Lousiana Purchase
Exposition Company $4,000,000.
Provided for a $474,000 exhibit
at the Portland, Ore. Exposition.
Provided for tho extension of
the east front of the capitol and
a Senate office building.
Grand total of appropriations
Number of bills introduced in
the House 15,398, number intro
duced in tho Senate 5,045.
Of a total of more than 400
bills passed, loss than 150 were of
a public nature.
World Wide Reputation.
While's Cream Vermifuge ban achieved a
world wide reputation ax being tbe beat of all
worm destroyer*, and for ltd tonic Influence on
weak and unthrifty children, an It neutralises
the acidity or sourness of the stomach, Im-
proves th"lr digestion, and assimilation of food,
strengthens their 1
in"ir nigemion, una oHHimuauon or rooo,
ngthens their nervous system and restore*
i to health, vigor and elastlctur of spirits
ral to childhood. 26c at Smith Broa A Co.
BIO CATTLE SALE
At Ft. Worth—Some Stock Own-
ed By Tuck Hill & Son.
Sixty head of registered Short
Horn cattle will be sold at publio
sale at the Foit Worth Union
Stock Yards May 13. They be-
long to several prominent Texas
breeders, among whom are Tuek
Hill & Son of this city.
The best bread and cakes in
McKinney at the Model ,Bakery
,J. Prince, Propr.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Newspaper.
Thompson, F. C. The Democrat (McKinney, Tex.), Vol. 21, No. 14, Ed. 1 Thursday, May 5, 1904, newspaper, May 5, 1904; McKinney, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth291836/m1/1/: accessed August 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Collin County Genealogical Society.