History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families Page: 444
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF TEXAS.
Bank of Austin. The bank is owned exclusively
bly Messrs.Crawford & Crawfobrd, in addition
to which they own a majority of the stock of
the Fiist National Bank of Lagrange, this
State. of which they were the organizers,
Wilbur F. being a member of its board of
directors.. They also own a controlling interest
in the Cameron Cotton Oil Mills, started
in April, 1892, on a capital of $40,000, and
an interest in the Riverside Brick Works,
which last represents an investment of $15,000.
During the past ten years the firm of
Crawford & Crawford, in addition to their
banking business, have placed over a half
million dollars in real-estate loans in Milam
county, the bulk of which has gone to buy
lands and improve homesteads and otherwise
add to the prosperity and comfort of the community
and to the taxable wealth of the
county. Thle growth of this business has
been rapid, astonishing to many and most
gratifying to those who have had it in charge.
These gentlemen, although coming to Texas
within the past ten years, have made a vast
deal more history in that time than many
who have resided here a life-time; and in
view of this the following personal mention
of them is warranted in this connection..
Wilbur F., Henry T. and Frank M. Crawford
were born in the city of Brunswick,
Maine, in 1852, 1858 and 1862, respectively.
They were reared in their native place, and in
the schools of that place and of that vicinity
received their education. Their father, the
Rev. George C. Crawford, a prominent
Methodist minister, was for years connected
as trustee with the Maine Wesleyan Seminary
at Kent's Hill, Maine, and with Bowdoin
College at Brunswick, Maine, and,
being himself a gentleman of excepti nal attainments,
as a scholar, was enabled tonive his
sons the advantages of two of the best schools
of the State, and, what was of more moment to
them, to "' enter with spirit and understanding
" into the matter of their education and
proper training for the discharge of the duties
of manhood. In this labor he was ably
assisted by a devoted wife and mother,-one
who was qualified by her gifts of mind and
heart and graces of person to arouse in her
sons the best impulses of their nature and to
direct them in a way to make them count
for most in the after struggles of life.
In 1880 the three brothers came West and
for a time were residents of Bloomington,
Illinois, where Henry T. and Frank M. were
engaged in the newspaper business. In
1882, as already noted, Wilbur F. came to
Texas and laid the foundation of their interests
here. The same year, but later, Henry
T. cane. He died at Cameron in 1885, at
which date his place in the bank was taken
by Frank M., who took up his residence at
Cameron for that purpose.
Of the career of these gentlemen in Texas,
outside of what has been given in connection
with their business interests, but little more
need be said than that as citizens they have
interested themselves in all matters pertaining
to their town and county-have been
foremost, in fact, in calling attention to the
resources of this locality and have unhesitatingly
put their money into every enterprise
that has given promise of legitimate
private returns or lasting public good. They
have confidence in Texas and pride and confidence
in their own town and county. They
believe in the future of the State and in the
grand march to that future they desire to see
their town and county assume the place that
belongs to them.
They are Republicans in politics, active in
State and national affairs, and generally
make their influence felt. Wilbur -F. has
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families, book, 1893; Chicago. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/m1/476/?rotate=270: accessed April 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .