History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families Page: 657
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
IISTR O TXA.
ticeship in a dry-goods house, and also received
a diploma from a business college, he
was engaged there one year as clerk in a
jewelry store. In 1855 lie located in Keokuk,
Iowa; in the spring of 1856 located for a
short time in La Grange, Missouri, and in the
same year caine overland to Texas, in company
with George Neely, of Pike county,
Illinois. They arrived in Grimes county in
February 1857. After coming to this State,
Mr. Jones changed his name from Jonas to
Jones, his people being still known by the
former name. He has one brother living in
Chicago. While residing in Grimes county,
Mr. Jones was engaged in trading in stock,
principally in horses. In 1858 he came to
Williamson county, locating near where Florence
now is, which was at that time called
Brookville. He brought with him a number
of horses of his own, also a drove belonlging
to William Howard, of Mississippi, which he
took care of for three years. In 1861 le returned
with his horses to Grimes county.
At the opening of the late war, in 1861,
although a Union man, Mr. Jones joined the
Confederate army, McCowen's Battalion, and
went to the city of Waco. While there the
companies reorganized into Gurley's Regiment,
known as the Thirtieth Texas Cavalry.
Mr. Jones was a member of Company D,
under Captain Strayhorn, and soon after the
reorganization of his regiment he secured a
furlough to go home. Previous to leaving
camp he had done some writing for the coinpany,
which pleased Colonel Gurley and his
regimental quartermaster, Captain Abney,
and on his return Mr. Jones was appointed
Quartermaster's Clerk. He filled that position
until the regiment arrived at Houston,
where they were ordered to dismount and go
to Brownsville, although they did not leave
their horses until arriving in Colorado county.
They then marched on foot until Bee county
was reached, where they received orders to
go into camp at Cypress City. While there
Mr. Jones resigned lhis position as Qnartermaster's
Clerk for the regiment, and accepted
the office of Clerk of the Quartermlaster's
Department at Itouston, where lie remained
nine months. He was the only ian taken
from liis ranks to fill a position in that department.
His work was sent to Richmond,
then the seat of tlhe Confederate Government.
Mr. Jones afterward joined llis company and
served as a private until the close of the
struggle. Ile took part in the battles of
Rocky and Cabin Creek. At thle latter
place 300 wagons and 1,200 mules were captured.
The company disbanded on the Brazos
river, in Falls county, after which Mr.
Jones resumed the stock business in Florence.
In 1866 lie sold his stock to a Mr. McCrary,
and embarked in the mercantile business in
Georgetown, in company with James Knight,
with whom lie remained two years. He next
located on a farm on the Gabriel, and from
1880 to 1892 was engaged in stock-raising
and farming at this place, selling his possessions
in the latter year for $25,000. Mr.
Jones owns a beautiful hoine and considerable
other city property in Taylor and Granger,
and is now engaged in the banking business
in the town of Granger, Williamson county,
In 1861 he was married to Miss Mariah
Pyle, a native of Vermilion county, Indiana,
and a daughter of Robert and Martha (Malone)
Pyle. To this union ;xere born seven
children: Clara, wife of W. T. Soul; Mattie,
now Mrs. Charles Sullivan; Minnie, wife of
Dr. Keown, of Waco; Jettie, Mamtie, Birdie
and Harrie. The wife and mother died in
1885. She was a member of the Baptist
Church. In 1887 Mr. Jones married Mrs.
IIISOR YOF T XA8
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families, book, 1893; Chicago. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/m1/706/: accessed January 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .