[Legal Statement of Sale for Slave] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [Legal Statement of Sale for Slave]
- Series Title Washington County legal documents
- Creation: 1852-04-05
- Digitized: 2007-08-02
- Content Description: Bill of sale of 45 year old slave woman (Cate) to James S. Hanna at auction at Brenham court house. Text of document: The State of Texas, Washington County April 5th A.D. 1852 Know all men by these presents, that whereas on the 16th day of November A.D. 1849, Davis [...] Recovered & obtained a judgment against Charles J. C. Lockhart, R. Autrey and A. B. [...]lurey for the sum of three hundred and seven[ty] seven dollars & twenty eight cents, together with Cost of suit, on which judgment an execution was issued on the 22nd day of March 1852, and come to hand the same day and by the power and authority vested in m[e] I proceeded to Levey on a certain negro woman by the name of Cate about forty five years old, more or less and being regularly advertised according to law to be sold on the fifth day of April A.D. 1852, at the court house door in th[e] town of Brenham at public out cry upon which James S. Hanna became the purchaser he being the highest and best bidder, for the sume of two hundred and sixty dollars. I John H. Day shirriff [sic] of law do sell and convey to the aforesa[id] James [S.] Hannah All the right titel [sic] and interest taht said Charles J. C. Lockha[rt] had or possesed [sic] in said negro for even, in witness whereof I do hereunto set, my hand, this date above written. John H. Day, [Sheriff] W. C.
- Physical Description:  p. ; 31 x 20 cm.
- NMC Chenhalls: Communication Artifacts
- NMC Chenhalls: Documentary Artifact
- Keyword: Washington County, Texas
- Named Person: Hanna, James S.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Social Life and Customs - Slavery
- Keyword: Brenham, Texas
- Keyword: bills of sale
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Washington County
- Time Period: slav
Name: Star of the Republic Museum ObjectsCode: STAR
Name: Star of the Republic MuseumCode: STAR
- Rights Access: public
- Legal Document
- Accession or Local Control No: 1969-275.31
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth32830