[The Christian Tabernacle]

Description

Photograph of the First Christian Church charter members in front of the building known as the "Christian Tabernacle". The Reverend H.M. Polsgrove is sixth from the left on front row. He served the First Christian Church in Port Arthur, 1908-1911. This building was constructed in 1905 at 700 Fifth Street. It was removed in 1912 to make room for the new brick structure which was completed in 1915. Other ministers who served in the Tabernacle were Reverend Tolbert Weaver, and Reverend C.F. Pearce.

Physical Description

1 photograph, b & w ; 5 in. x 7 in.

Creation Information

J.C. Watkins Photography 1904.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2007 and was provided by First Christian Church of Port Arthur to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 100 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

First Christian Church of Port Arthur

The First Christian Church of Port Arthur contributes to the Rescuing Texas History, 2007 collection and materials from their collections include two history books of their congregation, as well as photos revealing the legacy of the church. Rock star Janis Joplin sang with the youth choir in the early 1950s, and photos from that time in her life are also included.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the First Christian Church charter members in front of the building known as the "Christian Tabernacle". The Reverend H.M. Polsgrove is sixth from the left on front row. He served the First Christian Church in Port Arthur, 1908-1911. This building was constructed in 1905 at 700 Fifth Street. It was removed in 1912 to make room for the new brick structure which was completed in 1915. Other ministers who served in the Tabernacle were Reverend Tolbert Weaver, and Reverend C.F. Pearce.

Physical Description

1 photograph, b & w ; 5 in. x 7 in.

Notes

"7" x 5" b/w image. Charter members, 1904, First Christian Church, Port Arthur, Texas. Building known as : "Christian Tabernacle". The Reverend H.M. Polsgrove is sixth from the left on front row. He served FCC, Port Arthur, 1908-1911. This building constructed 1905 at 700 Fifth Street. It was removed 1912 to make room for new brick structure which was completed in 1915. Other ministers who served in the Tabernacle were The Reverend Tolbert Weaver, and Reverend C.F. Pearce."

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2007

Rescuing Texas History 2007, presents materials from fifteen partners: Anderson County Historical Commission; Austin History Center, Austin Public Library; Bosque County Historical Commission; Childress County Heritage Museum; Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History; Dallas Heritage Village; First Christian Church, Port Arthur; Heritage House Museum, Orange; Historic Rose Marine Theater; Kemah Historical Society; Museum of the American Railroad; Palestine Public Library; Sanger Public Library; Sulphur Springs Public Library; and Val Verde Historical Commission.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1904

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Feb. 19, 2008, 7:10 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 100

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

J.C. Watkins Photography. [The Christian Tabernacle], photograph, 1904; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34892/: accessed September 25, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting First Christian Church of Port Arthur.