Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 15, Number 1, Spring, 2003 Page: 19
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
CCC Camp SP-55-T was located behind Winfrey Point.
The Dallas-area camp, designated SP-55-T,
was originally intended for Bachman's Lake but
in mid-July 1935, almost at the last minute, officials
of the National Park Service decided to
establish it at White Rock instead,"in order to get
sanitary sewage and other facilities more suited to
the project."2 As soon as this decision was made,
work on the barracks and other buildings began
immediately under the supervision ofArmy construction
officer Tom B. Martin. By early August
the camp, with Army Commander James S.
England in charge, was ready to receive recruits.3
It was located behind Winfrey Point, on the site
now occupied by two baseball diamonds.
The White Rock CCC camp consisted of
several wooden structures, including eight barracks
buildings painted yellow, a mess hall,
commissary, and several small sheds or outbuildings.
Arranged around an adjacent
open "service yard" were an office, a com
bination blacksmith shop and storage building, a
ten-car garage, and a combination woodworking,
repair shop, and storage facility. A road, later called
Autumn Leaves Drive (present-day Emerald Isle
Drive), led to the camp from State Highway 78
(present-day Garland Road) and encircled it. An
unnamed short road, which also still exists, connected
the south side of the camp with East
On Wednesday, August 14, 1935, 120 recruits
from Collin County arrived at the White Rock
Camp to form CCC Company 2896. The following
day, sixty-nine young men from Dallas
County joined them. Among the early arrivals
were "three Negroes" for whom it was reported
that Commander England was awaiting "orders
regarding where they should be sent." These
orders were necessitated since CCC com
panies-like the U.S. Army at this time
were not racially integrated.5 What became
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Historical Society. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 15, Number 1, Spring, 2003, periodical, 2003; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth35094/m1/21/: accessed October 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.