Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 14, Number 2, Fall, 2002 Page: 26
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
EARLY PRESTON HOLLOW
BY PETER FLAGG MAXSON
reston Hollow is arguably the most prestigious
neighborhood within the boundaries
of the City of Dallas. Like many
twentieth-century developments, it is assumed
by many to have no history of interest, and even
its most significant homes are bulldozer bait for
those building palaces on the large lots. But parts
of Preston Hollow are nearly eighty years old
now. Neighborhood founders were men and
women of vision, and many Dallas leaders have
dwelled in its handsome homes. Unknown to
many, from 1939 to 1945 Preston Hollow was an
incorporated town. And, yes, the neighborhood
has a long and interesting history as well as many
Dallas grew in all directions in the first half
of the twentieth century, from a youthful community
of 92,000 in 1910 to a major city of
434,000 in 1950. In the early twentieth century,
affluent Dallasites were drawn in three directions.
To the south, parts of Oak Cliff such as
Winnetka Heights and, after 1927, Kessler Park
offered handsome homesites. To the east,
Munger Place, Swiss Avenue, and later
Lakewood tempted many home builders. And to
the north, Oak Lawn and Highland Park and,
later, University Park were very popular.'
Wilbur Cook's plan for Highland Park broke
the traditional grid street pattern, with its modestly
curved streets, particularly around Turtle
Creek and other waterways. Kessler Park,
designer by famed urban planner George Kessler,
followed suit, as would Harold Volk in the Volk
Estates in University Park. But excepting the
Volk Estates, most lots were less than an acre in
Ira Pleasant DeLoache (i879-z965) developed Preston Downs,
Preston Elms, and other North Dallas subdivisions. His office,
still extant at the corner ofNorthwest Highway and Preston
Road, served as Preston Hollow City Hall.
size and were clearly suburban in character.
A younger generation of prosperous Texans
looked beyond the typical suburbs of Texas.
These home builders were often better educated,
more likely to go to Princeton or Smith College,
than their parents. They were more likely to
know suburbs in Westchester County, New York;
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Historical Society. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 14, Number 2, Fall, 2002, periodical, 2002; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth35097/m1/28/: accessed January 20, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.