Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 14, Number 2, Fall, 2002 Page: 56
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The spillway at the south end of White Rock Lake as seen today.
approved by Hydraulic EngineerJohn B. Hawley
of Fort Worth, called for a 40-foot high, 15-foot
wide dam to be made of wooden pilings and
earth faced with concrete on the reservoir side. A
pump house, necessary for getting the water out
of the lake and into city mains, was also planned.
The following Sunday, and for three weeks afterward,
public notices were published in newspapers
in Dallas, Houston, and St. Louis, as well as
the Manufacturers Record and the Engineering
Journal, calling for bids to construct "the foundation
for the pumping station ... the dam, spillway
and other appurtenances at the White Rock
By early March, six bids had been receivedone
from a construction company in Junction,
Kansas, another located in St. Louis, one in
Houston, one in Fort Worth, and two in Dallas.
On March 7, the contract was awarded to the
Fred A. Jones Company of Dallas, which submitted
the second lowest bid. City officials
explained that the very lowest bid, which was
made by the Texas Building Company of Fort
Worth, "could not be entertained" because the
firm had not conformed "to the specifications
and bidding requirements." The city's contract
with the Jones Company, which required the
firm to began construction within ten days from
March 7, 1910, and be finished within 330 days
of that date, was signed on March 22.17
Although Jones's company enjoyed an especially
harmonious relationship with city commissioners,
labor problems and "several mishaps"
prevented the project from being completed by
the original deadline. One of the most serious
incidents occurred during the late afternoon of
November 15, 1910, when a leg collapsed on one
of two derricks-one stationary, the other swinging-used
in constructing the dam. When this
occurred, a cable that held the swinging derrick
erect "gave way," causing it to collapse, sending
two workmen hurtling 60 feet to the ground.'8
Despite such setbacks, the Daily Dallas
Times Herald was able to report on September 1,
1911, that apart from "the upstream guard of the
spillway" and "the filling for the sluiceway," the
White Rock dam was completed. A day earlier,
Consulting Engineer John B. Hawley visited the
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Historical Society. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 14, Number 2, Fall, 2002, periodical, 2002; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth35097/m1/58/: accessed October 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.