Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 12, Number 2, Fall, 2000 Page: 27
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
former student of his at North Texas Normal
College in Denton, describing her as "the
quickest, most incisive mind ... that he had ever
taught." It was a successful recommendation. Ela
Hockaday accepted the offer in I913, purchased a
frame house on Haskell Avenue not far from the
Terrill School, and proceeded to build an outstanding
school that survives today.23
The Terrill School's supremacy in Texas was
confirmed in I916 by the Handbook of Private
Schools, a national publication which carried only
one listing under the heading for boys' schools in
Texas: "The Terrill School in Dallas, established
by Menter B. Terrill, A. B., A. M., Yale, prepares
boys for leading colleges and scientific schools.
Of the two hundred and forty boys there is provision
for sixty in residence."24
Among the Dallas elite, the Terrill School
ranked with the Dallas Country Club and other
prestigious institutions on which they relied.
Among the many prominent family names represented
at the school during its first decade were
Alexander, Beilharz, Bradfield, Exall, Higginbotham,
Knight, Lindsley, Manning, Scruggs,
Schoellkopf, Volk, and Wynne.25 When Irion
Worsham's father, a prominent Dallas attorney,
sent his son to Terrill School in 1924, he did so
because it was the finest school available. "We
lived in Highland Park, and even at that stage
Highland Park schools were regarded as good
institutions," recalled Worsham, "but Dad
wanted the best for me."26 Largent Parks, the son
of a successful East Dallas real estate developer,
entered the Terrill School in I9I7. He remembers
Terrill as a preparatory school that fulfilled its
Terrill School was a wonderful school.
. . The classes were small, the instruction
was good, and the standards were very high.
... Coming out of there, a young fellow had
the equivalent of a good freshman college
education and found college, in most cases,
very, very easy. Four years of Latin was
almost a requirement. Our physics and
chemistry labs were rather primitive, but
very instructive, and our teachers were interested
in all of us. It was a joy to go to that
By 1915, faculty members at Terrill held
degrees from universities such as Princeton,
Columbia, Michigan, Virginia, and Kentucky. Of
the thirty-three graduates that year, fourteen
attended Ivy League colleges, including five who
went to Cornell, four to Yale, and two to
Princeton. Most of the others headed to the University
Poor health forced Menter Terrill to retire in
1916. Enrollment that year had reached a peak of
228. The student newspaper published a number
of encomiums from prominent citizens. Typical
was the praise from G. B. Dealey: "Mr. Terrill has
not only been personally a valuable citizen of
Dallas during his residence here, but he has had
through the school a broad influence on the
future of our city by educating its boys to an
appreciation of the true qualities of a gentleman
and a rightful sense of social and personal
M. G. Bogarte, a teacher at the school, and
his brother, R. H. Bogarte, bought the facility
and continued to operate it under the Terrill
name. For several years, the school continued to
function along the lines established by Menter
Terrill, although without his energy and strict
supervision. Gradually the school's reputation
began to fall. The 1923 edition of The Terrillian
(the school yearbook) mentioned plans for the
construction of a new facility at a new location in
order "to enlarge and build a finer, more up-todate
building and to create a large athletic and
play field." However, a management reorganization
the next year indicated that all was not well.
The 1924 Terrillian reported that R. H. Bogarte
had sold his half interest in the school to S. M.
Davis, a teacher whose tenure at Terrill began in
I9I4. "Mr. Davis will take over the athletic and
business departments of the school after June i,
I924." The anticipated expansion never materialized,
and the school remained at its original location
for six more years.30
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Historical Society. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 12, Number 2, Fall, 2000, periodical, 2000; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth35101/m1/29/: accessed November 14, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.