Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 1, Number 2, Fall, 1989 Page: 33
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
was made almost entirely of native Texas granite
from Teich's quarries near Llano, except for the
statues, which were of Carrara marble imported
On the day of the monument's dedication,
April 27, 1897, between 40,000 and 50,000 people
were in attendance at City Park. Old soldiers and
their families made up a large part of the crowd,
and there were many dignitaries present, perhaps
the most notable being John H. Reagan, former
Postmaster General of the Confederate States of
America, U. S. Congressman, and Senator.
Guests of honor were the widow of Stonewall
Jackson and the daughter of Jefferson Davis,
Mrs. Margaret Hayes, who attended with her two
children, Lucy Hayes and Jefferson Davis
Hayes.6 There had been a ball the night before, a
"Love Feast" at City Hall, as well as a parade and
much oratory at the dedication itself.
After Davis, Lee, Jackson, and Johnston had
been praised and their statues unveiled, Mrs.
Katie Cabell Currie, president of the Dallas chapter
of the Daughters of the Confederacy, and a
"bevy of beautiful girls representing the thirteen
states and territories of the Confederacy" were
called upon to unveil the monument to the private
soldier on top. A reporter on the scene watched as
the ladies "joined hands and pulled the cord
which held the large veil on the monument and
hid the statue of the Confederate private from
view. As the large veil slowly dropped, the band
played 'Dixie' and the voice of nearly every individual
in that vast multitude of people joined in
round after round of applause." The reporter also
observed that the rope which held the veil on the
statue of the soldier broke, "and it was therefore
impossible to unveil it, but this was the only
accident which marred the otherwise perfect
One surprise for the Cabell family was a
medallion which had been affixed to the south
side of the plinth, bearing a head and shoulders
likeness of General William L. Cabell. Not a part
of the original design, it had been secured the day
before the unveiling by the Daughters. Known
affectionately as "Old Tige," General Cabell was
a Civil War hero, four times Mayor of Dallas, and
a founder of the Sterling Price Camp of the U. C.
V. The father of Mrs. Currie, General Cabell was
away from Dallas on unavoidable business and
could not attend the ceremonies.8
Following the monument's dedication, it
was decorated with flowers and Katie Cabell Currie,
to her embarrassment, was introduced to the
gathering by Captain L. S. Flateau, the master of
ceremonies. "Mrs. Currie," reported the newspaper,
"could only bow her head in acknowledgement,
while the air was rent for the last time with
vociferous and tremendous applause."9
The Confederate Monument stood in City
Park until 1961, when the widening of R. L.
Thornton Freeway took several acres from the
northern side of the park, including the site of the
monument. It was moved to a spot just north of
the convention center, beside Pioneer Cemetery,
where it remains today.
Most of the ex-Confederates who attended
the dedication in 1897 did not live to see the
construction of a second public Confederate
monument in the city. Unveiled by President
Franklin D. Roosevelt on June 12, 1936, after his
visit to the Texas Centennial Exposition at Fair
Park, this new memorial took the form of a heroicsized
equestrian statue of Robert E. Lee astride
his horse Traveller. For a time, the Park Board
had wanted the statue placed in Dealey Plaza,
downtown, but other opinions prevailed and it
was placed at the corner of Hall Street and Turtle
Creek Boulevard, in Oak Lawn Park, later renamed
Lee Park. 1 Accompanying the general is a
young aide, also on horseback, who represents all
the soldiers who fought under Lee's command.
President Roosevelt, who had earlier given a
nationally broadcast radio address before a large
crowd in the Cotton Bowl, sat in his open car at
the monument's base and yanked a long cord
which revealed the statue to the public. 1 Built at a
cost of $50,000, raised over a period of eight years
by the Dallas Southern Memorial Association,
the statue was the work of noted sculptor A.
Phemister Proctor. The base was designed by
Dallas architect Mark Lemmon. Also located in
the park is a replica of Lee's Arlington, Virginia,
Another memorial commissioned by the
Southern Memorial Association is the fountain
designed and built by Joe E. Lambert, Jr., located
in the lake on Turtle Creek. Not as obvious as
Lee's statue across the street, it is meant to be a
tribute to all Confederate heroes.12
It could be argued that other memorials can
be found in the form of several Dallas schools
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Historical Society. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 1, Number 2, Fall, 1989, periodical, 1989; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth35123/m1/35/: accessed July 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.