The Texas Historian, Volume 38, Number 5, May 1978 Page: 7
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
THE HAMBRICK PLANTATION:
ONCE HAUNTED, NOW RESTORED
by ROBIN TOMBERLIN
Travis Junior High, Irving
ON A HILL, fifteen miles from Tyler, stands a
remnant of pre-Civil War days. The Hambrick
plantation, recently restored, is a showplace
that symbolizes the graciousness that was the
old South. Before its restoration, however, the
old house had acquired a reputation as a
haunted house. Its presence brought fear to
many in the Tyler area.
Old timers told blood-curdling tales of
strange goings-on-the rattling of chains in an
upper bedroom where a girl was supposed to
have been shot to death, the groans of Indian
Chief Bowles who was killed on the nearby
Cherokee battlegrounds, and the nightly visits
of a ghostly horseman. It was said the plan-
tation had been, on more than one occasion, a
When W. C. Windsor bought Hambrick Plantation in 1954 he began the long task of
restoration. His efforts paid off as seen in the photograph below. All photographs
courtesy of author.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Texas Historian, Volume 38, Number 5, May 1978, periodical, May 1978; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth391368/m1/9/: accessed October 15, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.