The Texas Historian, Volume 40, Number 4, March 1980 Page: 13
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Georgia was the only state in the Union to
supply arms from its state arsenal when her
sons came to Texas to join the fight for free-
dom. The Georgia Battalion of 5 companies
of volunteers came as a group to Texas and
joined the command of Col. James Fannin,
Fannin's army of 500 men was surrounded
in open country by a superior force of Mexi-
can cavalry. Rather than attempt to fight
their way out, abandoning the wounded,
Fannin surrendered unconditionally to Gen-
eral Jose Urrea but understood that he and
his men would be treated as prisoners of
war and finally released. They gave up their
arms and returned as prisoners to Goliad.
Santa Anna ordered them executed. On
Palm Sunday, believing they were being
repatriated, the prisoners were marched
from the mission at Goliad to the open plain
and were shot. Some had been hidden by
concerned Mexican families and a few who
might be useful to Mexico were spared.
Among these was Dr. John Shackelford, for
whom this country was named.
The State of Georgia sent a claim in 1855 to
the State of Texas for $3,000 to pay for the
guns sent from the Georgia armory; the
Texas legislature agreed to pay the claim.
Georgia then in 1859 waived the right to
payment in favor of the building of a monu-
ment to the men of the Georgia Battalion.
Texas again agreed, but for one reason or
another it was never done.
Our town was named by one of its founders
for his hometown of Albany, Georgia and
our county for Dr. Shackelford who was
spared at Goliad, and since we in Albany,
Texas are among the benefactors of sacri-
fices made in behalf of Texas, we offer this
Memorial as partial payment of the debt
we owe the State of Georgia. We shall re-
main with a great debt unpaid to Georgia
for sons sent which we cannot send back.
They are now a part of the Soil and Soul of
The monument to the Georgia Battalion was
dedicated at 5:00 p.m., Thursday, June 24,
1976. Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson activated the
fountain, and a collection of dignitaries from
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Texas Historian, Volume 40, Number 4, March 1980, periodical, March 1980; Austin, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth391511/m1/15/: accessed August 12, 2020), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.