[Inside the Electric & Ice Plant]

Description

Electricity was first provided to Mineral Wells by D. T. Galbraith, the builder of the Hexagon Hotel. His generating plant once stood where the Convention Hall once stood. By the year of 1906, the Mineral Wells Electric Company supplied power to the southern portion of the town, but it did not survive the Panic of 1907, at which time it was placed in the hands of trustees, who shut the operation down. There were only 23 customers left when the plant was re-opened in 1909 (The Galbraith plant was still in operation with DC power in the interim, but it ... continued below

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: A. F. Weaver Collection and was provided by Boyce Ditto Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 26 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Provided By

Boyce Ditto Public Library

Located in Mineral Wells, the Library holds over 50,000 materials and is dedicated to providing free access and services for the community in a friendly and professional manner. Because of the work of the Boyce Ditto Public Library, residents of Palo Pinto County have access to books, online resources, events, and much more.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Electricity was first provided to Mineral Wells by D. T. Galbraith, the builder of the Hexagon Hotel. His generating plant once stood where the Convention Hall once stood. By the year of 1906, the Mineral Wells Electric Company supplied power to the southern portion of the town, but it did not survive the Panic of 1907, at which time it was placed in the hands of trustees, who shut the operation down. There were only 23 customers left when the plant was re-opened in 1909 (The Galbraith plant was still in operation with DC power in the interim, but it was only for the trolley line and for City Hall) by the trustees, who continued operations until 1913, at which time they sold the property to the Mineral Wells Electric Company. It was all sold to Texas Power and Light in 1925.
A Major J[ohn] D[avis] Beardsley (who had fought for Maine in the Civil War) had been granted a 99-year franchise by the City of Mineral Wells (in 1905) for the generation and sale of electricity. Major Beardsley is also credited (By the Abilene "Daily Reporter of 1905) of being the moving authority behind a railroad that was planned to run from Abilene to the Texas Central Line. The panic of 1907 (and probably a grand conflagration in Mineral Wells, whose losses were estimated to have been $100,000) brought ruination to Mr. Beardsley's enterprise.
Electricity was brought first to Mineral Wells by D. T. Galbraith before 1905. His generating plant was located where the Convention Hall once stood.
The Mineral Wells Electric Company was organized in 1913. In 1925, the Texas Power and Light Company bought the Mineral Wells Electric Company. It continued to operate under the original Beardsley franchise.
The old Electric and Ice Plant was once located on SW 1st Avenue. This photograph was taken around 1908. Pictured is D. L. Austin, father of Myrtle Butler.
It is featured in "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 83, in reversed form.

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

A. F. Weaver Collection

This colorful panorama covers Mineral Wells' founding and its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town to the present. Photos are from local historian and photographer A.F. Weaver, local families and research sources.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Covered Time Period

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 25, 2008, 2:40 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 26, 2017, 4:07 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 26

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Inside the Electric & Ice Plant], photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39174/: accessed November 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Boyce Ditto Public Library.