D. M. Howard Merchant

Description

A view of the D.M. Howard store is shown here. It was located at 101 SE First Avenue. D.M. Howard was one of five brothers to come to Mineral Wells from North Carolina. D.M. Howard died on January 23 (a Saturday), 1910 at his home, following an operation for appendicitis. This building was occupied by J. M. Belcher (a furniture dealer)for many years after it had ceased to be the D.M. Howard store, and then by the R.& W Furniture store. It was eventually torn down in 1975 to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan--and for parking. ... continued below

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: A. F. Weaver Collection and was provided by Boyce Ditto Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 21 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Provided By

Boyce Ditto Public Library

Located in Mineral Wells, the Library holds over 50,000 materials and is dedicated to providing free access and services for the community in a friendly and professional manner. Because of the work of the Boyce Ditto Public Library, residents of Palo Pinto County have access to books, online resources, events, and much more.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

A view of the D.M. Howard store is shown here. It was located at 101 SE First Avenue. D.M. Howard was one of five brothers to come to Mineral Wells from North Carolina. D.M. Howard died on January 23 (a Saturday), 1910 at his home, following an operation for appendicitis.
This building was occupied by J. M. Belcher (a furniture dealer)for many years after it had ceased to be the D.M. Howard store, and then by the R.& W Furniture store. It was eventually torn down in 1975 to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan--and for parking.
This picture is featured in "Time Once Was in Mineral Wells" on page 122.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

A. F. Weaver Collection

This colorful panorama covers Mineral Wells' founding and its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town to the present. Photos are from local historian and photographer A.F. Weaver, local families and research sources.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • Unknown

Covered Time Period

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 25, 2008, 2:39 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 31, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 21

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

D. M. Howard Merchant, photograph, Date Unknown; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39185/: accessed August 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Boyce Ditto Public Library.