Stirpes, Volume 34, Number 1, March 1994 Page: 38
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
AmJ Jv J J T.TD.^ VL'I ..-A X'"100
of Dalriada, from 834-837. He was born around 778 and he was killed in the Battle of
Galloway on July 20, 841.
Alpin Mac Eochaid descended from a line of Kings of Dalriada. His ancestor was
Eochaid Buide, the King of Picts and of Dalriada from 608-629. Eochaid was educated by St.
Columa who brought Christianity to the Kingdom of Dalriada. Eochaid was the younger son of
Aiden who succeeded him as his older brothers had been killed. Eochaid died in 629, having
ruled Dalriada from 608-629.
Aiden's grandfather was Dromangart, who married Feldelm Foltchain (Fedelmia). He
died around 504. His father was Fergus Mor Mac Ercc, King of Dalriada, Argyle, Scotland
498-ca. 501. He invaded Kintyre in 496 and founded the Kingdom of Scottish Dalriada. He
died in 501.
The earliest known of Grandpa's ancient Scottish and Irish ancestors was Eochaid
Munrevar, King of Irish Dalriada, who died before 439, and probably married Erca, daughter
of Laorn, son of Eru.
All my efforts over twenty years to trace my other family surnames have been with
varying degrees of success. Nothing equals the way Grandpa's pedigree has come to light; in
fact, it has almost been revealed to me through several printed pedigrees. What would Grandpa
have thought about his noble and royal roots? Would his family have seen him in quite a
different light? To me, anyway, he would be Sir Grandpa.
(1) 1900 Federal Census returns, Crawford Co., Ark.
(2) 1842 Marriage record of Lewis Harvey & Margaret Buffington.
(3) 1850 Federal Census returns, Jefferson Co., Ill.
(4) 1875 Marriage record of William Harvey & Louisa Alma Cornstuble, Jefferson Co., Ill.
(5) Probate records of Abraham Buffington, Jefferson Co., Ill.
(6) Will & probate records of Lewis Harvey, Jefferson Co., Ill.
(7) McElroy, John, Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons. (Sergeant-major of Co. L, 16th
(8) Civil War record of Basil Harvey, Co. L, 16th Ill. Cavalry.
(9) The Buffington Family in America by Ralph Buffington. 1965.
(10) Personal correspondence with Ralph Buffington
(11) Sue Proctor Miller, Buffington Island. Jackson County (WVA) History and Folklore, Jackson
County Historical Society. 1983.
(12) DuBois Family Association, New Paltz, N.Y., pedigree books. Vol. 1, II, III.
(13) Adams & d'Angerville, Living Descendants of Blood Royal.
(14) Burke, A.M., The Prominent Families in America.
(15) Cope, Gilbert, The Cope Family. 1861.
(16) Douglas, David C., William the Conqueror. University of California Press, Berkeley. Appendix:
pedigree charts. 1964.
(17) Harcourt pedigree chart.
(18) Stafford pedigree chart.
(19) Britain's Kings and Queens by Sir George Bellew.
(20) Warren, W.L., King John. University of California Press. 1961.
(21) Seward, Desmond, Eleanor of Aquitaine. Dorset Press, New York, N.Y. 1978.
Note: Researchers should address correspondence to Carol J. Renner at: 216 Illinois St., Laredo, 7X 780413220.
MARC 1 1QQd
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Genealogical Society. Stirpes, Volume 34, Number 1, March 1994, periodical, March 1994; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39868/m1/40/?rotate=270: accessed January 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Genealogical Society.