Stirpes, Volume 34, Number 1, March 1994 Page: 65
offered to take in my Dad and raise him but he wished to be on his own and there was no one to
challenge his ideas.
Names of Various Paternal Family Members:
D.F. Morrison, Tallulah, La. Harry Watts' first cousin.
Gladys Booth, Williford, Ark., sister to Harvey & Otis Spradling. Cousins to Harry Watts
Tymond Spradling, Murphysboro, 11. Cousin to Harry Watts
Addie Watts, Bloomfield, Mo. Wife of Obe Watts
Donna Cleghorn. Daughter of Gladys Booth.
Louis Booth. Son of Gladys Booth.
Florence Wisdom, b. Oct. 9, 1873, d. Aug. 25 1964. Aunt of Harry Watts
Gracie Spradling, b. Feb. 5, 1902. Cousin
Laura Gladys Spradling, b. Aug. 4 1904. Cousin.
William Otis Spradling, b. Aug. 9, 1907. Cousin
Harvey Franklin Spradling, b. Oct. 30, 1911. Cousin
Samuel Byrd Spradling, b. Feb. 25. 1913, d. Feb. 13 1915
Herbert Spradling, b. Oct. 31, 1915, d. April 1916.
Maternal Antecedents of Joe C. Watts:
Great-grandfather: Robert Armstrong, b. Nov. 30, 1843 in Parkersburg, W.Va., d. Aug. 17,
1917. He was a boatman. Married Oct. 19, 1880, Sarah Elizabeth Athens, b. in Wyandotte, Kans., Oct.
22, 1857, d. Dec. 9, 1937. This couple had three children born on October 14. This information was
recorded by Robert Armstrong on April 12, 1915. James Armstrong's wife was Nellie Wilkerson, b.
Aug. 30, 1889, d. Feb. 5, 1960. Children of Robert & Sarah Armstrong:
(1) James, b. Oct. 14, 1881, d. Jan. 19, 1960.
(2) John, b. March 26, 1883, d. May 5, 1925
(3) Robert L., b. Dec. 12, 1884.
(4) Annette (my grandmother) b. Sept. 19, 1886
(5) Nathan, b. Oct. 14, 1888.
(6) William Sherman, b. Oct. 14, 1990
(7) Albert W., b. Nov. 26, 1893.
(8) Lydia, b. Aug. 6 1901
(9) Alvan and Alva, twins, b. May 22, 1899
(10) Amy, b. Aug. 3, 1901
Grandfather Cornelius Byrd Wilkerson, b. 1882, d. 1962. He was a wagonmaker and
blacksmith. His wife, Annette Armstrong, b. Sept. 19, 1886, d. 1964. (Grandmother Armstrong (Nettie)
Wilkerson's brother married Grandfather Byrd Wilkersn's sister, making the offspring double cousins.
The Wilkerson children:
(1) Homer, of Ravenden Springs, Ark.
(2) Earl, married Franceline, of Rockford, Ill.
(3) Richard, married Bessie, of Walnut Ridge, Ark.
(4) Clarence, married Lindy, their daughter Sherry, of Jonesboro, Ark
(5) Nathan, married Mary. Four children; Leroy (married Hazel Jones' daughter); Frieda Mae;
twins: Geraldine & Willadine, of Williford, Ark.
(6) Hazel, married #1 Edward Reese. Their children: Sidney, John Cornelius (J.C.) Husband
#2: Walter Hickman of Walnut Ridge, Ark.
Correspondence regarding these families should be addressed directly to Joe C. Watts at P.O.
Box 352, Refugio, Texas 78377
L'51 M 3lv1fJrAA A...
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Genealogical Society. Stirpes, Volume 34, Number 1, March 1994, periodical, March 1994; San Antonio, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39868/m1/67/ocr/: accessed May 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Genealogical Society.