The H. A. King Ranch

Description

This photograph shows a group of trees in front of several mountains. There appear to be fence posts marking off an area to the right of the photograph. In the foreground there are rocks and ground covered in desert scrub. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph read: "The H. A. King Ranch, Musquiz Canon, Jeff Davis County Tx, June 1929 by H. A. King" and "10 miles south of Fr. Davis. Build but [...] and then bought 1883 by Col. Grierson [?] who married Mrs. King (mother of H. A.) after first wife Alice died."

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 2.75 x 4.5 in.

Creation Information

King, H. A. June 1929.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Marfa, Diversity in the Desert and was provided by Marfa Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 132 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Marfa Public Library

The Marfa Public Library materials include photographs that document their local history. Images include photographs of many families, including the Crosson, Contrera, Cordova, Chavarria, Campos, Cline, Love, Vasquez, Porter, Jordan, and Rivera families. Also featured are photos of the ghost town of Shafter, and pictures of the set for the movie "Giant."

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

This photograph shows a group of trees in front of several mountains. There appear to be fence posts marking off an area to the right of the photograph. In the foreground there are rocks and ground covered in desert scrub. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph read: "The H. A. King Ranch, Musquiz Canon, Jeff Davis County Tx, June 1929 by H. A. King" and "10 miles south of Fr. Davis. Build but [...] and then bought 1883 by Col. Grierson [?] who married Mrs. King (mother of H. A.) after first wife Alice died."

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 2.75 x 4.5 in.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Marfa, Diversity in the Desert

These photographs document the local history of Marfa and the surrounding area. They include images of many families, including the Crosson, Contrera, Cordova, Chavarria, Campos, Cline, Love, Vasquez, Porter, Jordan, and Rivera families. Also featured are photos of the ghost town of Shafter, and pictures of the set for the movie "Giant."

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1929

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Sept. 24, 2008, 6:16 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • May 16, 2011, 1:43 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 132

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

King, H. A. The H. A. King Ranch, photograph, June 1929; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth40165/: accessed February 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Marfa Public Library.